photopainted image, what do you think? added image to post

I responded to another thread begun by Justin, where some showed the use of filters on images in Photoshop which I thought were very nice. I recently picked up a copy of Corel Painter 9 to experiment with something beyond using filters to edit a photograph. In this image I used an electronic paintbrush to "smear" the pixels and to hopefully, give the impression of an actual painting, then I applied a watercolor paper texture to the image to give the impression that it was painted on textured paper.

I would like to get some honest feedback to see what you all think. If you like it I would like to know and if you don't I am interested in your thoughts, perhaps with some constructive critisizm on how to improve it or if I should just not mess with this kind of editing. This was a first effort and I am only just learning to use this software. I claim no artistic skills with a brush and canvas and could not paint this from scratch, and with so much talent from which to draw, I know that I could learn from you, especially the artists out there. So don't hesitate to offer "constructive comments" on how I can improve it, I really want to hear honest commentary. Feel free to lambast me if you want, I can take it. Or copy this image and work it in your own style and re-post it if you want.

This is the original photograph (I sharpened it and added a gradient sky over the white sky that was in the original to make it a bit more interesting);
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is the version after being painted in Corel Painter and texture added;
View attachment 12020

here is a watercolor version
View attachment 12021

Thank you friends, your thoughts are very important and will be helpful in the learning process.

Scott

B

Bill Zunic

Top stuff. I have to check out that software now.

Regards,

Thanks Bill,

It took me about 4-6 hours of painting to get this effect. Each pixel is individually stroked with a seperate brush stroke. Unlike a filter, which you can just apply with a key stroke. As I mentioned, this is a first effort and trust me, I am no artist what so ever. I will say, despite the time intensive aspect to it, I found it to be very relaxing. It was almost as if I could actually paint a picture like a real artist. I can see why people with natural artistic God given talent get so involved in their art.

I still have a lot to learn. I saw an artist apply this technique to a picture of two women and for the life of me, I could not tell that it started as a photograph. In the right hands, this is amazing.

K

Ken-L

The amount of work you put into it is why it is such a good "painting" - Really Nice.

Thanks Ken,
This is obviously not for everyone as it can be somewhat labor intensive, and it took me much longer since this was the first time I have used it and I had no idea what I was doing and had to go back for many redo's until it looked like I wanted it to. There are instant filters that can be applied that actually give very good painterly effects. When I get some more time, I will go back to Corel and apply some other filters as I learn more about it. They also have an interesting application that clones an image like tracing paper similar to lowering opacity in PS, but Corel has some very trick ways of editing an image. I'm not trying to sell Corel but I am open to anything that can enhance my photography and make it more interesting.

I am sure that there are some out there that are familar and experienced in painting software that could offer some suggestions or even offer some examples of their work. I would love to see more examples of painted images.

Scott

Hi Scott,

The end result of your image is wonderful. As I kept looking at the finished image...I became interested in giving it a try someday...but that was until I read that it took 4 -6 hours. Wow, talk about labor intensive!!!

Scott,
I like it alot. Perfect image for this treatment.

The more you practice the quicker it goes. Like learning any other prog.

The folks in the retouching forum on DPR do a bunch of this. You should stop over there and see whar all they do.

I go there at least once a day. They are great folks also.

Sketch

Here is one I did with PS.

Used thier tools and a different bunches of stuff. I can't remember.

42999780.gif

I do remember I truned it black and white, desaturated, textured and used paint with light to color it back.

Hi Guys (meaning guys and gals),

Frank, That time was an estimate based on doing some and saving it and coming back to do some more and so on. I did a bit, then erased it and did it over several times until I got the hang of it, then it did go quite a bit faster. I used my faculty/teacher discount to buy the software and then picked up a copy of Corel Training from Lynda.com. The instructor on the CD did most of an entire portrait of two women in about 15 minutes and it came out much better than mine. This is only one method. There are some automatic features and short cuts built into Corel. Painter is the premier of the painter types of software in about the same league as PS is for editing photos. Corel is actually aimed at freehand artists and illustrators though as you can see it also has applications for photography.

I just like to try different things. For awhile, I was into panoramic photography and bought all kinds of tripod software and specialized software for stitching. That didn't work out because it was so hard to frame and transport finished images to the shows I do.

Then I tried macro, I got bored at looking at bugs and flowers and other little odds and ends. That was pretty big set back financially when I finally sold my 200mm micro lens and a bunch of RRS attachments.

Not to mention selling a Coolpix for a D1 and selling a D1 for a D1x and selling a D1x for a D2x and then having to buy my wife a D70 so she could play too.

Photography is not for the weak of heart or on a budget.

Hey Gale, good idea about DPR photo editing. I think I will pop over there and see what happens. I forgot about that.

Hey Scott,

To be quite honest...the more I look at your work and the work that Gale posted, labor intensive or not...it has definately sparked and interest and I will probably give it a try. It is too beautiful not to do some experimenting myself. Probably good for reducing stress as well I would imagine.

As far as photography not being for the weak at heart or on a budget...that is the perfect analogy. It's a wonderful hobby, a great way to make a few extra bucks, a creative way to earn a living and perfect way for someone to spend money that they may not have!

I truly enjoyed this thread!!!!!!

Hi Scott,

Saw your painting at retouching. You got the thumbs up for sure from the gurus.

Good job. :>)))

Frank,
I stated to just do post processing on this one and ended up with that. lolol

Thought wonder what this filter would look like and then, oh wonder what this or that would look like. lolol
thats how these things evolve sometimes. Now I still don't have the pic PP. lolol

Just take a pic and play.. It is fun.

eng45ine said:
Hey Scott,

To be quite honest...the more I look at your work and the work that Gale posted, labor intensive or not...it has definately sparked and interest and I will probably give it a try. It is too beautiful not to do some experimenting myself. Probably good for reducing stress as well I would imagine.

I truly enjoyed this thread!!!!!!

Frank,
Thanks for your compliments. I just discovered this kind of by accident and have taken a great interest in it. I also found a web that is the Nikon Cafe of Corel Painter and photo painting. it seems to be a tremendous resource for information and discussion on related topics. The website is Paint outside the frame.

http://www.msholinprosales.com/Invision/index.html

If you go there you have to create a log in, but it is worthwhile is free. There are many online free tutorials available and numerous very nice examples to see the potential of what you can do. It's funny, I even saw a Nikon Cafe regulars posting there.

I just ordered some training videos to expand my knowledge of the software. It reminds me of Photoshop when I first started using it.

This would be a must have skill for a wedding photographer. It turns an average wedding picture into a unique painting that would hang in a place of distinction.

Gale said:
Hi Scott,

Saw your painting at retouching. You got the thumbs up for sure from the gurus.

Good job. :>)))

Thanks for recognizing that Gale. It is reassuring to me. I liked the way it came out, but I have a built in bias and wanted to know what others thought. sometimes, when you are too close to something you don't see it for what it really is, so I thought I would put it out for public opinion and comments. It is great to hear that so many others like it as well.

Scott

I think your painting looks great. Only thing I'd do is to match the sky reflection in the water to the colour of sky you've inserted. Looks off balance from a reflecting point of view. The painting has a real sea-side feel to it. Good for you and all your labour-intensive work. Cheers, S

I had a chance to play around with it some more and came up with this variation as a watercolor. I am as always interested in feedback. Thank you

original.gif

oops, I missed that Sandi, good point...

Here ya go Sandi, What do you think now?

original.gif

Thanks Frank, but on the last image all I did was to apply a bit of smart blur on a seperate layer to the painted image and then fiddle with the saturation and opacity/fill sliders. That was about a 5 minute fix. Not so much talent as good with buttons and sliders I think.

Latest threads

Top Bottom