1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PhotoPro Shop (Nikonians) ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by threecats, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Looking for feedback on their service, etc. After much research I have decided on a Gitzo 2541. It seems the places I generally buy from (BH, Adorama) do not have the new models in so am considering buying from Photo Pro shop. They are also about $35.00 less than Really Right Stuff.

I find it odd that it's harder for me to buy a tripod sight unseen than an $1800.00 camera. Unless I go into the city (chicago) there is no place nearby that carries Gitzo on the floor. I feel confidant enough in the purchase now that I don't need to physically see it and I don't feel good about using a store for info and than buying it elsewhere. Nor do I feel great about the 10.5 % sales tax in addition to full price.

thanks,
    glenn

2. You can't go wrong with a Gitzo tripod but 10.5% Wow!

3. Can't go wrong with PhotoProShop. I've ordered many things there as they are until recently the only shop in Europe that sold the Kirk/Markins stuff.

4. yes that's the new sales tax in Cook County making it the highest in the USA. To top it off I guess that there is now a void in the loophole people used to use on car purchases. Imagine buying a car another county away and saving 2% on the tax alone! Now they tax you at the rate it is where you actually live!

Thanks Kees. Glad to get the good report.

glenn

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Glen I made a major appliance purchase from Abt on June 29th just before the new tax rates went into effect. I buy from Abt all the time and know this salesperson very well and he informed me about this tax hike. I am glad I was able to save some serious $$$$ :biggrin: 10.5% is a real killer .. almost 2% more than Naperville.

6. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'd say it could be that bad nationwide in a year but don't want to verbalize the obvious, thinking it is bad enough. Another reason I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. You could buy a nice memory card with what you'll save on tax. Let us know how you like the tripod.

7. We pay 13% here, last year it was 14% and the year before 15%...

I hate buying things because of it!

8. I just found this at B&H if it means anything to you. If you are a Napp member, you can get free shipping also. The other good source for this is Kirk Enterprises and they offer free shipping, I believe. Good luck. Gitzo is great.

Tom

9. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country

Glenn,
    I have purchased several items from the photo pro shop without any problems. They are real easy to work with...I needed an item shipped over night, and at the time they didnt offer that, so I called them up told them the problem and they overnighted the item after asking me to drop a check in the mail to cover the difference.

10. Thanks all. Ordered from Photo Pro shop.

Yep 10.5% sales tax here in Cook County and they ran out of money for road stuff for this year before the year even started. Roads are like tank trails and they don't even have the $ to pick up road kill anymore. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.