1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

{Photos added} Trying to get my photos to really pop with color

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Debbie H, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Hi, I'm really trying to get this certain look that a photographer I know of is doing with his senior pictures. The color really just pops and he is using some kind of border on his pics. I have tried lab, multiply, selective color, hue/saturation, contrast, well just about everything. I would list his website but I believe that is against the Cafe rules. I just can't that look I wanting!:frown: Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Debbie, maybe you could

contact the photographer and tell him/her how much you like the photos and see if the technique could be shared.

3. Post a link to his site - I don't think it's against any of the Cafe rules.

4. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri

Joe around here the photographers do not share anything. Most of the ones I know will not let you shadow at any shoots and for sure will not tell you how they get their trademark look. Believe me I know. Not this photographer but another one that I used to get along with until I started doing some shoots will not even talk to me now and he's been a photographer for 20yrs. It is really cut/throat around my area. I'm always sharing with my photographer friends, but that is just me.

5. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    I would have to contact Patrick to see. Thanks:smile:

6. Yeah, post away! The owner of the link won't mind - it all adds to his google ranking!

7. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
  8. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Debbie, there's a couple of things you could try.

Go to Image - Mode - lab. Get a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Pump up the sat, erase the skin tones back at around 50% opacity.

Add a screen layer, but lower the opacity until it looks right.

Lastly, add a overlay layer, also lower opacity.

9. It looks like a lab mode color boost.

Here is an link to my lab pop action.

Lab Color Pop Action

(and you have to mask the skin back in afterwards or you'll have lobster people, and some of his shots were very lobsterish)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  10. Yes, these have the look of a few different actions I've seen 'round the net. Perhaps he doesn't want to share (or others too, not specifically just him) b/c 'the look' is achieved via someone else's actions, and not via the photographer's own work. :wink:

11. Am I the only one who wasn't all that impressed with those? That border was attrocious.

12. BamaVan

BamaVan

Jul 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Andrew, thanks much for the tip, I love the pop and the ease of using it.

13. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks Linda!! I will try all the steps you have went through. I'm not as good in PS as you are. When you talk about adding a screen, & a overlay layer, are talking about basically duplicating the original layer two times? I have PS open right now and I'm playing with a photo I have done the hue/saturation adjustment layer and added a lot a sat & painted back the skin the way I want it. This is where I'm getting confused, should I flatten the layers now and then add a screen layer and a overlay layer? I'm trying to figure out how to arrange the layers so everything works together. Sorry for my non talent. :redface: Thanks!!:smile: Debbie

Thanks Sonya!! I just downloaded it. I will give it a try. Debbie:smile:

I have to Gretchen. I'm just not as talented in PS as I would like to be. Oh I'm sure it is just not him. He is very well known for his work around the city. Not that I love everything he does but I just like {Some} of his PS processing. Thanks! Debbie

14. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    William thanks for chiming in! I'm not crazy about everything that he does to his photos but I do like some of his PS processing. Just trying to learn some tricks of the trade.:smile:

Thanks Andrew!! Just tried it and Overlay really gave it some pop! Thanks!! Debbie:smile:

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh yes, sorry about that. Duplicate the layer, then you switch that from Normal to Screen, and then add a new layer and switch to overlay, from the layer menu.

16. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri

Thanks Linda!! :smile:

17. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    No problem...just remember to reduce the opacity. Please post your results!

18. Yeah I see what you mean about the PP, it does really pop. Just not sure what's the deal with those borders, heh. I think it might just be something he does for the website.

19. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Yes I see what you mean. The picture I'm playing with really is not a picture I would apply the bold bright colors to but I'll play with it and post it for grins. Debbie:smile:

Yes William I really like the bold bright colors that pop. Oh, and yes you are right the borders are just for his website. Debbie:smile:

20. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Any samples of the color pop action, from Sonya?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.