Photos and Snapshots.. Remember Mom knows best..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Jan 3, 2006.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

My mom pointed this out to me yesterday at the nursing home. I printed 4 8x10's "<b>PHOTOGRAPHS</b> from our family Christmas gathering a few weeks ago and put them in frames and took them to her, but I didn't print out a bunch of 4x6 snapshots for her of the family.
    She smiled and said "honey these are great, but can you please print me some little ones of the all the different family shots for me. Those mean a lot more to me than these do".
    <b>Ouch!</b>
    For years when the family gets together for a holiday or some kind of gathering we like most families do the family shots. You know stuff like this.

[​IMG]

Being a Photographer and not a snap shooter, doing that kind of photo just doesn't thrill me at all, and I bet it doesn't most of us. But when it comes down to it is those snapshots that really mean the most to most of the family.

So tonight I am going to print them out for her and make a special trip to drop them off before I go on vacation..

So remember that stuff like this is fun to do and print and hang up on the wall.

[​IMG]
    Don't forget to take these too, and print them for the family photo album.

[​IMG]

2. MattKuether

MattKuether Guest

Dave, I think you make a really excellent point. I agree that sometimes in our quest to take interesting and artistic photos, we forget why most people take pictures in the first place, which is to remember good times they've had.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I prepared a bunch of 8x10s for a photo collage at my wedding reception. I ended up passing over many of my most "artistic" shots in favor of shots that merely showed me and my wife doing something interesting, or even just plain shots of the two of us. Even though I think my pictures were far from my artistic best, we got a ton of compliments on our photo collage. We heard a lot of "Oh, it was so nice to see a picture of you with so-and-so," or "It was nice to see the two of you in x-location."

To me, the bottom line is to take great pictures, but sure a good portion of them are pictures you (and others) will want to see in 30 years when you reflect back on what you've done. Art is great, but happy memories are even better, especially when your photo can evoke that same happy memory in someone else.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Dave and Matt...I could not have said it any better. A serious photographer is always looking for something special...perfection...profound creativity, while others are just plain happy to view a photo that will take them back in time or to another place to re-connect with someone or some place that is important to them. I can understand Mom not being overly impressed with creativity, when all that she wants is to see a warm smile on a family member's face or the colors and folliage of the place where she used to live. A nice lesson for all of us indeed.

4. Sounds like your Mom is a sharp lady, good for her!

Well done and have fun in San Fran!! :cool:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Thanks Matt, Frank and George for looking. Mom is a stubborn old lady at times and while she loves my photography she loves stupid snapshots more of her family.
    So I need to print a bunch of 4x6's for her tonight and drop them off tomorrow. She will be happy and that is important.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Update.. Mom is HAPPY Now!!

Just an update, I printed up about 25 snapshots that I took a month ago at our family Christmas gathering and dropped them off to her tonight.
    She was so happy to see them, and that brought a smile to my face too.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Snaps are getting big play in the art world too. I know of two traveling exhibits featuring dozens of random and anonymous snapshots that show a cross section of 'typical' American life.

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well I know that Kodak is doing very well selling the 4x6 DyeSub printers this year... They sold over 1.7 million bundles which have both a camera and a printer dock in them. Very impressive numbers... And that doesn't count how many were sold by them selves.
    I print all my 4x6's on either a Kodak Easyshare Printer Dock Plus Series 3 or the new Photo Printer 500 (it has a 3 1/2 inch LCD on it.) and I mostly print from the computer not a memory card or from a Kodak P&S camera which I own also and have several demo's for my job with them.
    What better way to share your snaps with other than by printing them out when ever you need them.