Photos are so precious

My dad passed away in April. Today is his birthday. I found this photo from 2012 my daughter took of my dad and I that she had shared on Facebook then. It sure made me smile today, thinking of all the great memories. I miss him like crazy, but am so glad he is not suffering any more.

241942_10151046030226220_1359954977_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Our photos will outlive us all. What a wonderful way to remember your dad and a way to show your future generations the foundations of their past.

Terri, there was a great show on Idaho Public TV a couple of days ago—Out of the Shadows, about 2 women who photographed the Nez Perce and Sho-Ban tribes in the late 1880's, along with some mention of 2 contemporary tribal photographers.

"Benedicte Wrensted and Jane Gay never knew each other. But both took images of Native Americans in Idaho at the turn of the 20th century. In this program, we bring their stories and their photographs out of the shadows. Descendants of those in the photos also discuss what the images mean to them today, and we introduce viewers to two female indigenous photographers practicing their craft."

My schedule shows it repeating at 7:30 pm on Oct 18. A most moving show.

Terri, there was a great show on Idaho Public TV a couple of days ago—Out of the Shadows, about 2 women who photographed the Nez Perce and Sho-Ban tribes in the late 1880's, along with some mention of 2 contemporary tribal photographers.

"Benedicte Wrensted and Jane Gay never knew each other. But both took images of Native Americans in Idaho at the turn of the 20th century. In this program, we bring their stories and their photographs out of the shadows. Descendants of those in the photos also discuss what the images mean to them today, and we introduce viewers to two female indigenous photographers practicing their craft."

That sounds fabulous. I’ll try to remember to watch it tomorrow.

Real Name
Walter Rowe

I looked it up and you can stream it directly online from their website. I watched it. It left me wanting more. These were resilient, brave women. Imagine the equipment they had to work with, and they did it. I admire their courage and tenacity and vision. The documentary also left me angry and sad at what this country did to the indigenous people. It shows how one style of photography was used to convey a message that the actions taken by the US Government were "working" as they stripped away the identity and land of the native peoples with The Dawes Act of 1887 and other “treaties”. We moved them off their land onto reservations and tried to coerce and force them to be more like the Europeans who were doing this to them. The documentary also shows how another style of photographs portrays the indigenous peoples as truly warm and peaceful and loving, with families and proud individuals.

https://www.idahoptv.org/shows/idahoexperience/episodes/outoftheshadows/

The documentary is only 27 mins long. Well worth watching.

Thank you Nick for bringing this to our attention.

Last edited:
I looked it up and you can stream it directly online from their website. I watched it. It left me wanting more. These were resilient, brave women. Imagine the equipment they had to work with, and they did it. I admire their courage and tenacity and vision. The documentary also left me angry and sad at what this country did to the indigenous people. It shows how one style of photography was used to convey a message that the actions taken by the US Government were "working" as they stripped away the identity and land of the native peoples with The Dawes Act of 1887 and other “treaties”. We moved them off their land onto reservations and tried to coerce and force them to be more like the Europeans who were doing this to them. The documentary also shows how another style of photographs portrays the indigenous peoples as truly warm and peaceful and loving, with families and proud individuals.

https://www.idahoptv.org/shows/idahoexperience/episodes/outoftheshadows/

The documentary is only 27 mins long. Well worth watching.

Thank you Nick for bringing this to our attention.
Thanks, Walter. I found it as well. I started watching it last night in bed, but like I always do, I fell asleep. I will definitely watch it today.

My dad passed away in April. Today is his birthday. I found this photo from 2012 my daughter took of my dad and I that she had shared on Facebook then. It sure made me smile today, thinking of all the great memories. I miss him like crazy, but am so glad he is not suffering any more.

View attachment 1672195

That's a wonderful photo, Terri, and you are very fortunate to have it. He looks like a very kindly and outgoing person and I'm sure he is missed.

I have no such photos of my parents as they died in 2000 and 2001 before I started in digital photography.

That's a wonderful photo, Terri, and you are very fortunate to have it. He looks like a very kindly and outgoing person and I'm sure he is missed.

I have no such photos of my parents as they died in 2000 and 2001 before I started in digital photography.
I need to have Amber give me the original NEF. I want to print it. I miss him so much. He was a very outgoing and funny person, always singing wherever he went. I miss his silly jokes.

Terri - I'm late to comment but it is a lovely picture. I wish the digital technology we have today had been around when my parents were alive. If I were you I would print it, frame it, and display it. Kudos to your daughter for capturing an outstanding image of you and your Dad.

View attachment 1672195
They certainly are, Terri. Glad that you have digital ones - I have only ancient B&W prints of my parents. And I treasure those also.

Terri - I'm late to comment but it is a lovely picture. I wish the digital technology we have today had been around when my parents were alive. If I were you I would print it, frame it, and display it. Kudos to your daughter for capturing an outstanding image of you and your Dad.
I'm very grateful. Thank you.

Latest threads

Top Bottom