Photos being used...what to do?

So I took some photos at my nephews birthday party and while they were not anything great I sent them to the party host(it was a doggie party and my family knows the lady). I look on her website and find all my photos being used without so much as credit for them. The problem is I can't remember if she asked about using them or not, but even if she did I can't imagine I would have told her not to give me credit.

Not sure what to do here, she goes to my folks church and I would hate to cause an issue, and to be honest the photos are not my best work(had just gotten a new lens I was playing with). Should I just let it go? Any thoughts? Also, I never obtained any sort of release from the other children parents at the party, can I be held liable?

http://www.bfftraining.com/?page_id=76

The second row is all mine, as well as the photo on her about me page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would put a notch on the belt of learning experience. Never do a favor like this again without fully explaining and agreeing to the terms of use. You didn't get credit or cash so I would't sweat it now. Just move on and be more cautious in the future. Sorry it had to happen.

I dont know, if it were me, I would at least contact her and mention you though it was great that she decided to use them for promotion of her business, (commercial work there), and just ask her to include a photo credit and a link to your page if you have one or an email address.

You never know when another client of hers might want you to shoot their doggies as well, and the link would be nice. Do not want to get into the habit of letting it go now, like any copyright, you have to train yourself to protect it. if they are good enough for her to use, then she can very well give you credit for them at the least..

jmo

Ok they stole your pictures and are making money off them , that is if you didnt allow them to use them , but your not sure if they asked to use them .
I would call up Nancy Grace :biggrin:

I agree with Dennis. Shoot her an email and say "I saw my photos on your website, I'm glad you liked them! I made this new set of photos with my watermark on them, would you please replace the ones you put up with these? Thanks!"

There is NO WAY she should be using them without your permission, she owns a business and if she doesn't know better, she should.

You gave them to her, w/out any stipulations. This was not a product you intended to sell anyway. Let it go. If its not your best work, then why slap your name on it??

You gave them to her, w/out any stipulations. This was not a product you intended to sell anyway. Let it go. If its not your best work, then why slap your name on it??

Frankly, I'm surprised it took 7 replies for this! :rolleyes: Micah, you gave teh woman those photos... lesson learned. If you don't want people using your photos, don't give them away. Or, at the very least, put your watermark on them! :wink:

It happens....

Found one of mine as the main photo when you look up the Virgin River on Wikipedia.

Nice shot! You should get credit for that.

To the original post, if you're doing "favors" for people, I don't see the issue especially if it's not your best work- you don't want to advertise it IMO.

If you are concerned, I might volunteer to come back and do it right and watermark the suckers. That way you get credit and advertising, otherwise I'd drop it as a non-starter.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom