1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photos from Iceland

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by DBrim, Sep 4, 2008.

1. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the wanderlust forums, but they're all landscapes anyhow, so I'll just put them here. As travel photos, some of them were shot in less than ideal conditions, but these are my best efforts at them, anyhow. And yes, I like waterfalls. :biggrin:

EDIT: More photos on posts 25 and 34.

All photos were shot with the 18-200 unless stated otherwise. Special techniques will be described.

[​IMG]
    Gullfoss - Taken with an IR filter... really really poor lighting here, but we were lucky that it stopped raining at least.

[​IMG]
    Seljalandsfoss - Taken with IR filter. B+W conversion came out pretty well on this one, I thought.

[​IMG]
    Skógafoss - Again, poor lighting. We got there just before sunset, but it was overcast.

[​IMG]
    Foss á Siðu - Lit up orange at night

[​IMG]
    Overview of Jökulsárlón

[​IMG]
    Detail of icebergs at Jökulsárlón

[​IMG]
    IR but left in color... not sure if I should lighten this one up more, because if it's brought up any more I start to blow the highlights in the sky...

[​IMG]
    Shot straight into the sun! This is probably my best photo of the bunch, in my opinion. A 10 stop ND filter was used for the exposure.

[​IMG]
    An Icelandic man fishing

[​IMG]
    The beached ship Garðar close to sunset. Note the long shadow! Taken with the Nikkor 10.5/2.8 fisheye

[​IMG]
    A view inside the Garðar. Also taken with the 10.5/2.8 fish

[​IMG]
    An unnamed waterfall at dusk.

[​IMG]
    Aurora! This was one of the main goals of the trip. Shot with the 10.5/2.8 fisheye. Note the big dipper in the picture.

[​IMG]
    Another flare, this time located near the village of Þingeyri.

[​IMG]
    Unnamed ridge on the volcanic Snæfellsnes peninsula.

[​IMG]
    Sunset over a river in eastern Iceland. EDIT: shot with Tokina 12-24/4.

[​IMG]
    Hraunfossar... note the lack of source, it just randomly comes out of that lava field! This was the last stop before the airport...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Very nice set. I like them all. Unusual place for us as we do not get pictures from Iceland often. Well done.

3. so many nice images
    #s 4, 6, 7, 8, and the auroras
    wow...
    fantastic work
    nice of you to share these with us

4. Wonderful series, Daniel. The northern lights are fantastic. Also enjoyed the icebergs very much. The first shot is just awesome. Such power in all that water. Thanks for sharing your experience.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    awesome series

looks like a great place to visit

6. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    Great photos Daniel,
    Iceland is one of my favorite spots on the planet! I was there for the volcanos. We had only one rainy day during our Summer trip. Unfortunately it was impossible to see the aurora.

Thanks for sharing, Gary

7. Wow! I'll have to send my friends who've just returned from their trip to Iceland to this thread.

8. Absolutely splendid. These shots definitely want me to get up to that part of the world.

9. Excellent shots. Like then all, esp like the waterfalls and aurora. Hope to see more of your "travel" photos.

10. Beautiful - thanks for sharing! Reminds me of my 36 hours in Iceland (stopover en route to Germany), and how badly I want to go there again...

Cheers

Mike

11. This is a stunning exhibition of your talent. Simply said...WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Excellent series. Your pick for best image is mine as well, I liked everything about that shot, just incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

13. tblazi

tblazi

Jul 9, 2008
    Croatia
    Wow, great images, fascinant landscapes for photography.
    Thanks fow showing !

14. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the compliments, everybody!

15. Very nice ! The sunset colors are awesome.

Take care Dwayne Oakes

16. Hi Daniel,

Amazing place, Excellent photography. Simply breath-taking views !! I was curious about the exposure times on the Aurora pics. How long did you have to keep the shutter open to get those ?

Thanks,

17. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Thanks! Both auroras were 30s, ISO 400 at f/2.8

18. The one shot into the sun and the auroras are my favorites.

19. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    6 and 8 for me. Especially the iceberg detail!

Thanks for sharing your excellent work.

20. These are spectacular shots!!! You have a great eye for composition and these are very good exposures! The 18-200 is really kicking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.