Photos from Leighton Moss: Black-headed Gulls

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Leighton Moss is a reserve in north west England. It is owned and managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), one of the largest conservation organisations in Europe. I visited twice last week, in glorious spring weather.

Black-headed gulls are noisy, conspicuous and very common (the UK population is around 1.7 million birds in the winter and rather fewer in the summer): so most birdwatchers take very little notice of them.
    I decided to spend some time photographing them because conditions were ideal: the light was bright but softened by haze and there were about thirty pairs in full breeding plumage starting to nest very close to one of the hides. I expect most of the twitchers thought I was mad :smile: but I saw it as a wonderful opportunity.

LeightonMoss002_078a.

LeightonMoss002_168.

LeightonMoss002_084.

LeightonMoss002_216.

LeightonMoss002_327.

Easy shots of an easy species, particularly with a D200 and a 300mm f/4 Nikkor :wink: but I'm glad I took them.

Photos of other species to follow.

Alan

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I think these are the prettiest of all the gulls by far and these are very nice images of them. Love the one scratching!