1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photos from Leighton Moss: Black-headed Gulls

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Leighton Moss is a reserve in north west England. It is owned and managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), one of the largest conservation organisations in Europe. I visited twice last week, in glorious spring weather.

Black-headed gulls are noisy, conspicuous and very common (the UK population is around 1.7 million birds in the winter and rather fewer in the summer): so most birdwatchers take very little notice of them.
    I decided to spend some time photographing them because conditions were ideal: the light was bright but softened by haze and there were about thirty pairs in full breeding plumage starting to nest very close to one of the hides. I expect most of the twitchers thought I was mad :smile: but I saw it as a wonderful opportunity.

LeightonMoss002_078a.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LeightonMoss002_168.jpg

LeightonMoss002_084.jpg

LeightonMoss002_216.jpg

LeightonMoss002_327.jpg

Easy shots of an easy species, particularly with a D200 and a 300mm f/4 Nikkor :wink: but I'm glad I took them.

Photos of other species to follow.

Alan

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I think these are the prettiest of all the gulls by far and these are very nice images of them. Love the one scratching!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.