Photos from Monte Sano, Burritt on the Mountain & the Duck Pond

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by sommer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. We love the lookout at Monte Sano. Last year I couldn't wait to come back with a wide-angle lens so I could do it justice. This year I had the wide-angle lens but still couldn't seem to do it justice, lol! Maybe the 3rd time's the charm...either that or managing to get over there before sunset :wink:.

[​IMG]

This was the extent of the wildlife we saw on Monte Sano....there were hundreds of squirrels and they drove my dogs nuts:biggrin:! OTOH, we heard a ton of animals. The birds woke us up every morning, and the peepers kept us up at night....those at the campfire will attest to the volume of the spring peepers...it was downright ear-splitting at times!

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, Burritt on the Mountain was one of my favorite visits on this trip, and I took exactly one goofy picture of it. Burritt was an amazing man and his mansion a fascinating combination of glamour, natural materials and environmentally sound architecture. I'd like to go back in time and meet him :smile:. The primitive homes and outbuildings were very well-preserved/recreated, and I highly recommend a visit here if you get the chance. And here's my goofy remembrance of this awesome place :rolleyes:...

[​IMG]

I learned on this trip that I'm not an early-morning bird shooter. Here's an ugly bird (when I'm sleep-deprived, everything is ugly, lol!) from the duck pond.

[​IMG]

I call this "Where's Waldo", substituting heron for Waldo, lol! But hey, it's the best I can do with what I've got, and it's miles beyond what I could have captured last year. At least the colors are pretty :wink:.

[​IMG]

"Hey, Marvin, how many Nikon photographers does it take to shoot a duck?"
    "Oh, Fred, you silly goose....I mean duck!" Seriously, they were laughing at us all standing there with our tripods.

[​IMG]!"

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great series, Sommer. I wondered what those ugly ducks were saying about us?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good series Sommer
    You all had a great time i can tell:>))))

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm so glad you had a good time again this year! And don't feel bad about not being a morning person! Hey, I am a morning person and even THAT was WAAAAAYYYY too early for me!

5. WOW! Nice shots! Love the goofy shot too!

6. Very nice Sommer. The lookout at Monte Sano looks like it has quite the view - beautiful!

7. Fun shots, Sommer! I'll bet Monte Sano is beautiful during the daytime! Hee, hee, those Muscovy ducks were probably muttering among themselves about those crazy photographers.... LOL!

8. Nice shots. I especially like the one from the lookout.