Photos from the backyard

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by SandMark, Jul 20, 2008.

1. SandMark

SandMark

Apr 15, 2008
    Canada
    Here are a couple photos I took of my backyard. Your thoughts and criticism are appreciated.

Both of these were taken with a handheld D200 with a Sigma 70-300 and a 2x converter. I think I can do without the converter for these closeups, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Did you use flash on the first one? I wish those highlights were not there. My objection to the second one is the hard light.
    I would like to recommend that you get into the habit of using a tripod. It will improve your composition and your photography. Unless absolutely necessary, do not use the extender. If you are going to do lots of macro shots you will be better served using extension rings.
    Nothing wrong using flash at times but cut down the light by 1.5 stops just to add a touch of light to the shadows. Photograph those flowers under soft light, like that in early morning or late evening so that you can see the difference.
    You have the idea, motivation and the eye so all you need now is to refine your techniques.
    Just my opinion. Good luck and let us see your future work.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

3. SandMark

SandMark

Apr 15, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks for your comments, William. I've not done much macro photography, but after talking to a friend that does it a lot, I thought I'd give it a try. There's more to it than just zooming in as tight as you can.

Actually, both photos were taken on a very bright sunny day...one of the few we've had this year. The photos looked beautiful with their glow in the sunlight and I thought I'd try and capture that. I got the hard sunlight, but failed in capturing their true beauty.

I knew when I looked at these that the 2x was out. It really doesn't make much sense. I'm going to borrow a tube from a friend and try that out. This macro business is new to me and will more of a hobby to me, but it's fun trying to capture the natural beauty of nature.

Thanks, again, for your thoughts and I'll certainly post more pics here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.