Photos from Thunder Over Michigan

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by LyleF, Aug 17, 2008.

1. LyleF

LyleF Guest

Hi all:
    I hadn't posted here in awhile for health reasons. I had a stroke on and ended up in the hospital for a month. Fortunately, it wasn't that bad, it could have
    been much worse.

Anyway, I went to Thunder Over Michigan last weekend and here are some photos. I may go again next year, it was a great show.

2770591139_4442cfc45b.jpg

2770590847_a70de0110f.jpg

2771438042_c51f26ed38.jpg

2771437664_eb63536c8a.jpg

2770589899_a0b27ef310.jpg

2. NaOH

NaOH Guest

3 and 4 are incredible shots.

3. LyleF

LyleF Guest

Thanks for your comments. The B-17 was flying over while I was walking back from shooting a battle reenactment and I just happened to look up. That smoke is air show smoke.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice captures Lyle, the clarity and saturation are very pleasing. I like how each is cropped tightly which presents the aircraft so nicely. Very well done and thanks for sharing your work.

5. superb shots, the 2nd to last one almost looks like a model...

6. These great Lyle !! - Hope you're doing better
    I didn't make it this year. Love that Yankee Lady. She flies over my house sometimes. There is no mistaking the sounds of those engines. I can't believe I missed a BF-109 in flight...maybe next year.
    Thank You

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  7. Great shots. So clear and the colour is terrific.

8. LyleF

LyleF Guest

Hi All:

Thanks for your comments. All of these photos except for the B-17 were shot with my 300/F4 that I bought from a member of this website. I can't believe how sharp that lens is, it could cut you it's so sharp. I'm inspired to pick up a 70=200 VR or a 180 2.8 because i'm so impressed with the sharpness of this lens. My 70-300 VR would not focus on the Me-109 and caused me to loose some shots of that, that's when I decided to switch.

Frank: thanks for your comments. I've really admired your photos of the Chicago air and water show and your eagle photos from the Mississippi river.
    Fortunately, I've got the Conowingo Dam and I can't wait until later this year.

Jmelody: thanks, I'm doing better. Smoking and high blood pressure is what caused it. I quit smoking the day it happened, they wouldn't let me smoke it the hospital. Now I haven't smoked in 2 months. If you smoke, you should seriously quit. Smoking is one of the 4 leading causes of strokes. I imagine I sound like a preacher. but I learned my lesson. BTW the ME-109 is the only one flying in North America. Next year I Hope to get to Oskosh or Thunder over Michigan.

Aqualung, Dzibead: thanks for your comments. It's probably the lens because of increased contrast that produced the colors.

9. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Lyle,

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems, but glad that you're doing better, and that you're back! I wondered why we hadn't seen you lately.

Great shots -- did you go with Norm to Michigan?

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Love the shots, and I tend to like#1 the best because of the angle, it almost looks like you shot from plane to plane in this shot. Sure the clouds and sky aren't great, but it looks real!

Great prop blur on all the shots.

Well done

11. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    Great shots Lyle. Hope you continue to get better after your illness and congrats on the tobacco free life! LOve your shots. Are these taken in Kalamazoo or elsewhere?
    Scott

12. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Those are some great shots, Lyle. They really do just pop with clarity and color. Are these handheld?
    Ken

13. nice shooting, lyle
    3 and 4 are my favorites, as well

thanks for sharing

14. LyleF

LyleF Guest

Hi Kristin:

No, I didn't go with Norm, I went by myself. Thanks for your concern on my health. I'm getting better a day at a time.

Hi Commodorefirst:

Thanks for you comments. I lucked out on the prop blur. I shot at 1/400th of a sec and kept checking to see how they came out. The B-17 was shot at 1/200 of a sec. These were all shot handheld.

Hi iudoc97:

Thanks for your comments. Theses were taken at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilantr, Michigan.

Hi Kgilby:

Thanks for your comments. These were all shot handheld.

Hi Spalding12:

Thanks for you comments. The Old Crow is my favorite.