Photoshoot with Sandra in the studio

Discussion in 'People' started by vincebeus, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Hello,

I did another photoshoot with Sandra. Some will remember my photoshoot on the beach in the golden hour. Now i took some photo's of her in the studio setup. Give me your comments, replies or critiques on my photo's. So i can work with the advice and comments i get the next time in my shoot outs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to view these images and to reply on them.

Greetings,
    Vince

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Are you kidding??? I dream about those pictures. I LOVE cubism. :Crunk:

#3 is outa sight! I love it - especially her hair - the tossled look works with her very well.

The second to last one looks a bit corny to me. And the last one does a funny opposition color thing where the pink of her sweater and the green of the background just can't be seen together. The pose is SWEET tho... :Happy:

The first two are ok. She's pretty and has a very interesting face, these show her off well. I'm not too thrilled with her looking up in #4 and #5. The poses look strained. #3 is Great!!! Oh, I said that huh?

Great work Vince!

3. Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Can you explain me the part of the #4 and #5 photos. You say they look strained.

I appreciate it alot that you give me detailed reply on my shots. Thanks alot Chris.

Greetings,
    Vince

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    In 4 and 5 it looks like you said "pose like this" and she's trying, but the poses don't seem natural for her. And her eyes seem to be searching for a target, it looks like she's staring out into space, but not at something, know what I mean.

Of the two, I like 5 better. Her hair and face seem to go together better. This girl has such great hair when it's wild, the tight way it's done in 4 I don't see as complimentary to her face. In 5 - I like it. She's got great teeth that make her smile WILD! So I guess I don't like the tension of the pose in those two. #1 also has a strained pose, but for some reason it works for me. *see edit*

Sandra is, of course, beautiful, and you are a talented photog, so none of the shots you've done of her are bad, just some of them really ..., um ... stand out.

[edit] ok, looking again after reading my comments, I see that I love the ones where she's making eye contact with the camera.

5. Ok thanks for your detailed reply again Chris. And after reading this i see it is my mistake. I let her look in these photo's to infinity. So away from the camera to of the lights or away from me. So i sugested it, so i am responsible for that. I thought it would look mysterious but some eye contact with the camera would have been better i see.

See this is what i love about Nikon Cafe to get detailed information so i can work with it next time. I see not everything myself while i can be very hard on my own work. Sometimes i need some other photographers to tell me what is good and what is wrong.

So big thank you again Chris. I must maybe go look more to striking portraits on the net for ideas on poses and wich poses are more interesting then some poses i suggest. So i learn better to get the best out of my studio photography.

I have looked around me to some photographers in my surroundings where i life and they are not really help to me if i see there photo's. And most photographers here shoot with 20D or other canon camera's in studio. One time i asked a photographer if i could bring a model and shoot with him alongside so we could share information. And i would pay for the renting of his studio (while i have my own studio equipment). After i told i use Nikon D70 and Nikon D2X it was like i don't excist no more he told me that it would not work with his lighting system. And then he hang up. I was really shocked first i felt he really was ok with me coming and bringing a model and paying for the rent of the studio. And he kept talking and then after he asked my equipment he did not know how fast he had to hang up the phone. So not much help from the so called pro photographers in my surroundings.

So i am happy that i get the help from the kind and helping friend here on the Nikon Cafe.

Greetings,
    Vince

6. Hi Vince,

Very nice shoot with Sandra.
    IMHO, technically speaking, # 1 and #4 are outstanding! (although there is a bit of a parasite shadow on Sandra's chest (cleavage) in # 1 - easy to correct with PS).

Groet,

7. Hallo Frits,

Dank je wel! (thank you). Your totally right i did not noticed it yet i saw the parasite shadow. I will use the exterminate Photoshop to eliminate the parasite shadow. See my eyes sometimes don't notice some details no more thanks to you i get some good advice to be sharp again on my work.

Greetings,
    Vince

8. Vince,

These are super nice. I like the different backgrounds that you used. My favorite is the second from the bottom but like I said they are all very nice and I am not a pro to give advice but I am pro enough to tell you I like them all. I sure have learned from your shots with the advice that was given to me by others on a picture I posted. It is starting to all make sense.

Good job :)

9. Hi melissa thanks for your kind reply. In many things i seen of your work you are a pro for me. A pro is label others can give you. Some maybe don't find you a pro some will defeaneatly find you a pro in your skills in retouching. At least we all enjoy to learn from each other.

Greetings,
    Vince

10. Thank you Vince. I don't want to take away your post but I love retouching. I don't think I will visit there for a while. Taking time off. I like it here better.

Again, Nice pics and great work on your part. Thanks for sharing your fine art.

11. Hi Vince!

The girls is very nice looking but I must say I have a deep aversion of digital backgrounds. Ultra-yukky! Really nothing against you, only me, really. But it's like a bad perfume, I just can't pretend it's not there...:Curved:

Just be careful with your lighting. Pic #1, especially, has very bad light on the girl's face and chest... and anywhere else. For model and portrait shooting you only need one main light + reflector (ultimately but not always necessary). Then you can add a hair light... 2 main lights placed 45 degrees on each side of the model and with equal strenght is not the way to go. At least not if you're after a natural look.

The main idea behind this is simple: There is only one sun. :smile:

12. I don't know crap about studio photography so all I have to say about these images are that she has a nice rack. In my book, if I had a book, that's all that really matters.

13. Let's put aside technicals and backgrounds for a moment. Your biggest challenge is to establish rapport with the model, get her to buy into the shoot, and coax a genuine expression from her. It doesn't always have to be a smile, either. To be honest, the only shot of the session that meets my criteria is the last one, #7. The pose is relaxed and appealing, and she's finally letting her personality out. It's the only shot in the set where her smile extends to her eyes. Jmho.

[​IMG]

14. #7's the shot that shows off her nice rack too.

15. Thanks for the tip i will try it out next time.

Greetings,
    Vince

16. Thank you for your reply Frank

Greetings,
    Vince

17. :biggrin:

Greetings,
    Vince

18. Lovely model Vince. I will probably show my age by saying that I am not fond of pushing the top of the frame with the head of the model. I find this to be appropriate when doing a close crop of the head but not when doing a body shot. To me this gives a lead out line for exiting the image. I like #2 as it shows your model off to good advantage and the lighting is excellent. I agree with Frank that the last image is the most natural but here I would cut the EV by just a little. Well done series Vince, it must have been fun to work with this model.

19. Thank you very much. Yes it is fun to work with her. And yes would be better to show her full head when it is not a crop of her head only.

Thanks for your reply.
    Greetings,
    Vince