Photoshop 22.4.1 -- Filter Menu Problem -- SOLVED

I updated Photoshop yesterday to version 22.4.1. I'm using it for the first time since then and suddenly all of the filters I've added as plug-ins acccessed in the Filter menu are inactive (greyed out). I can't find anything about it at Adobe's website or anywhere. Any ideas what I should do?

I tried closing and loading Photoshop. Then I tried rebooting. Even so, still no love.

Windows 10

Last edited:
It seems to me that in the past the Topaz plug-ins were not accessed in the Filter menu but were accessed in a different menu. However, I don't remember what that menu was. Topaz is now in the Filter menu. However, Topaz and the other plug-ins are deactivated, so this makes me wonder if in the new update Photoshop is looking for plug-ins now in a new location.

If anyone that hasn't updated to Photoshop 22.4.1 could please let me know which menu is used to access the Topaz plug-ins, perhaps that might give someone smarter than I am about this stuff a clue about how to fix this issue (not that there is anyone not smarter than me about this stuff).

I don't think there is anything to figure out. PS changed its structure and some filters won't work. My TK Panel V7 won't work but Nik Colorefex Pro does. Some filters will need to update.

Tell me if I am wrong. This is based on "something " I read a week or so ago.

Mike, I am on photoshop 22.3.1
I don't update anything until I "have to", as I too often have similar issues and problems.
My topaz filters are under filter/topaz labs.
I remember one of the updates a year or so ago made me reinstall all my plugins- which was a job.
Good luck
gary

EDIT: Please ignore this post, as it is not correct and to explain why it's not correct would only add more confusion.

An interesting detail is that I use a BorisFX filter, which like my other filters is now deactivated in the Filter menu. However, the BorisFX plug-in allows you to display an icon within its own, tiny window anywhere within the Photoshop window. That icon can be used to access the BorisFX filter and it still works just fine.

My problem would be that if I accidentally close that tiny window, I would have no way of bringing it back while the pertinent menu item in the Filter menu remains deactivated. Thus, I would have no way to access the BorisFX filter.

Maybe this information will give someone a clue about how to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Nik Colorefex Pro [works]

I wonder if you mean that Nik HDR Efex Pro works. I ask about that because HDR Efex works on my system but Color Efex doesn't. HDR Efex is the only Nik filter that does work on my system.

However, none of the Nik Collection filters are accessible using the Filter menu. They're only displayed in their dedicated window that can be moved anywhere within the Photoshop window.

While explaining this issue to my wife, she suggested that Adobe might have intentionally made changes that rendered the plug-ins inaccessible. I think she might be right. That's because Adobe is building more and more capabilities into their software that directly competes with those plug-ins. It's apparent that Adobe hopes to prove to their customers that they don't need to go to the added expense of paying for plug-ins because the same results more and more can be achieved within Photoshop. One way of forcing customers like me to evaluate Photoshop's relatively new capabilities that compete with the plug-ins I pay for is to make the plug-ins inoperable until the developers of those plug-ins figure out a way to make everything work again.

A perfect example is that there is no doubt in my mind that I can achieve the same look in my monochrome images relying solely on Photoshop that I achieve using Nik Collection's Silver Efex Pro. That didn't used to be the case a couple years ago, maybe even a year ago, but it is now. The only reason I haven't taken the time to learn how to make it happen using only Photoshop is that I already know how to make it happen using Silver Efex Pro. If it takes too long for DxO to get its Silver Efex Pro to play nice as a plug-in to Photoshop, I'll take the time to learn how to make everything happen using only Photoshop.

Last edited:
Mike,

My Topaz and NIK filters are still active in 22.4 on my Windows PC.

I suggest that you revert back to 22.3 (it is easy to do) and you can find out where things were before re-installing 22.4.

I did it when I "thought" that the Save As was not working correctly.

DG

My Topaz and NIK filters are still active in 22.4 on my Windows PC.

They were active on my 22.4. They became inactive when I updated to 22.4.1. Are your filters active in 22.4.1?

I suggest that you revert back to 22.3

I've tried to find instructions about how to make that change to no avail. I would appreciate it if you or someone could provide a link to those instructions.

PS: I have just updated to 22.4.1 and all my filters, including Nik collection, are still there.
This is also on macOS 10.15.7.
The fact I needed to launch the update manually is rather new. 2nd time I'd say. Before, all the "app's" were updated automatically when they became available.
My settings are still set on update automatically.

They were active on my 22.4. They became inactive when I updated to 22.4.1. Are your filters active in 22.4.1?

I've tried to find instructions about how to make that change to no avail. I would appreciate it if you or someone could provide a link to those instructions.
Yes, 22.4.1.

See Bart's link for instructions - it is all done within the Creative Cloud thingy.......

Mike

There are circumstances when Topaz will be greyed out e.g when you have a 32 Bit File loaded.

DG

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The old location for plugins, which is still used by some, is here:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Plug-ins

The new location is here:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC

You should see shortcuts to all the Topaz products at the new location. If necessary install them again. It seems to be only you that has this problem.

Thank you to everyone for your help! However, now I'm more confused than ever. I haven't made any changes yet thinking that it might be helpful to explain the current location of the various files:

The DxO Nik files are at the new location -- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC
The BorisFX files are at C:\Program Files
I did not find Topaz Sharpen AI (the only Topaz product I have licensed) other than as explained below.

EDIT: All of the filters are indeed at the new location -- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC. The first time I looked I didn't see them but I can now confirm that all of them are there.

You should see shortcuts to all the Topaz products at the new location. If necessary install them again.

I don't know what you mean by shortcuts listed in the file system. However, when I conduct a search on my system of Topaz Sharpen AI, I think it's finding the stand-alone version. After loading it, one of the options in its Help menu is to "Re-install Photoshop Plugins." Should I do that?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom