Photoshop 22.4.1 -- Filter Menu Problem -- SOLVED

UPDATE: I now have completely new information that I think provides reason to ignore all of the above discussion.

When I open JPEGs and PSD files, all of the filters are displayed as usual in the Filter menu and all of them work except in one case: The most recent PSD file I created is the only one that was created using Photoshop 22.4.1. When opening that file, sometimes only the plug-ins are disabled and sometimes all menu items in the Filter menu are disabled.

Dave mentioned that sometimes a filter is not accessible when a 32-bit file is loaded. So, I wonder if the one problematic PSD file is a 32-bit file. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to make that determination. EDIT: My cataloging software indicates that it's not a 32-bit file.

I now wonder if something about this PSD file has become corrupt and will continue to experiment.

Any other ideas about this?

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
UPDATE: I now have completely new information that I think provides reason to ignore all of the above discussion.

When I open JPEGs and PSD files, all of the filters are displayed as usual in the Filter menu and all of them work except in one case: The most recent PSD file I created is the only one that was created using Photoshop 22.4.1. When opening that file, sometimes only the plug-ins are disabled and sometimes all menu items in the Filter menu are disabled.

Dave mentioned that sometimes a filter is not accessible when a 32-bit file is loaded. So, I wonder if the one problematic PSD file is a 32-bit file. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to make that determination.

If indeed it's a 32-bit file, I also didn't see anything in Photoshop's Preferences that seemed to be pertinent to this issue. I created this PSD the way I've always created them in the past: Save As and change the filename to a PSD file.

Any ideas about this?
Open the problem file in Photoshop.
On the menu click on Image and then Mode.
You should see ticks next to two lines. Which two lines are ticked?

Regarding your earlier question, it can do no harm so select the option to reinstall Photoshop plugins.

You say you are not sure what a link to a plugin would look like in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC
This is what one looks like, note the tiny arrow in the icon:
1621703675164.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This from DXOs support Page:

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 10.26.57.jpg

PS: I have just updated to 22.4.1 and all my filters, including Nik collection, are still there.
This is also on macOS 10.15.7.
The fact I needed to launch the update manually is rather new. 2nd time I'd say. Before, all the "app's" were updated automatically when they became available.
My settings are still set on update automatically.
I updated to 22.4.1 and all my filters (the Nik and Topaz filters) are working properly. I use Windows 10.

Glenn

After further testing, I'm convinced at least for now that I've got just one problematic NEF and that it is nothing other than coincidental timing that I happened to use that file and only that file after updating to Photoshop 22.4.1. When I open that NEF in ACR and then in Photoshop, the filters in the filter menu are disabled. The same is true for any PSD file that was saved from that NEF. Opening all other NEFs and creating PSD files from them created both before and after the problematic NEF was created presents no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: As Richard explained in post #29 below, the problem is that the image file is a grayscale file and that those filters aren't available when using a grayscale file. That's news to me, but it's very helpful news.

Last edited:
This is what one looks like, note the tiny arrow in the icon:
.xb-attach{ text-align:center; display:inline-block; *display: inline; clear:both; max-width:100% } .lbContainer.lbContainer--canZoom .lbContainer-zoomer { bottom: 24px; }
1621703675164-png.png

---​

Thanks, Richard! I do see that on my system now that I know what I'm looking for.

Glad you got it sorted out.
So many settings, so many different ways to screw it all up.
And many of these are things I would never ever figure out by myself.
Great to have a place like nikon cafe.
Go celebrate with some wine
gary

so many different ways to screw it all up.

That is SO true!

I make a lot of monochrome images, yet I do so probably only about 1% of the time or less by desaturating (which creates the grayscale file). The really odd combination of two coincidences is that I happened to make this one file a grayscale file and that it was the ONLY image file I had made after updating Photoshop to version 22.4.1. So, I incorrectly assumed the updated Photoshop was the culprit.

Adobe drives me batty. Every PS update, I must go into the Window->Legacy Menu and reopen each legacy item individually and "close" it into the sidebar. Why can't they handle this so it is seamless- I know, it takes brains.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom