1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photoshop Alternatives

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by Baywing, May 16, 2018.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Any recommended? Luminar, ON1? I'd like to run the NIK plug-ins, looks possible with Luminar.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Good question. I would like to know the same. I am interested in a package that does not require a subscription.

3. DXO bought the NIK collection and say they are planning to release a new version this year. Presumably the programs will be usable from within DXO Photolab which already includes U-points.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Just looking at the first page in this forum, there are several excellent discussions on this topic. Even the threads on specific raw processors have good information in them.

(BTW - I create custom camera color profiles for each body using Color Passport Checker. For me personally, the ability to use those profiles to ensure color accuracy is extremely important. Unfortunately Adobe is one of the few programs that recognize these profiles.)

Such as.......

What ARE the options in lieu of Lightroom/Photoshop?

Comparison of three RAW converters

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    • Like Like x 2
  6. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Gimp GNU

As mighty as PhotoShop and for free.

Regards
    Klaus

7. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    You can run the "current" version of the NIK suite (i.e. the last free one before the troubles, not whatever may come from DxO) as a stand-alone. I call it up as an external editor from CaptureOne Pro and it round-trips seamlessly.

As far as a PS alternative goes, there are lots - read the specs and make use of the pretty well ubiquitous 30-day free trial option and see what suits. Be careful if you want to try Affinity Photo though, there is no free trial available from the Mac Application Store, but you can get a free trial version direct from the Affinity website. The current retail version is Mac only but there is a beta version available for Windows - again, see the affinity website for this. I find AP a perfect complement to CaptureOne, and, as for the NIK suite, call it up as an external editor when required.

You don't say what you use as a DAM / Library. This was one of the deciding factors for me in choosing CaptureOne as it is an editor + DAM and was the best of all the software I tried out in regard to migration of my Aperture library.

Usual rider: the above reflects my personal experiences and preferences, YMMV and I can only repeat the key advice "try before you buy".

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe Affinity Photo for Windows is still a beta. Both the MAC and Windows versions are 1.6.# I believe.

9. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    David

Thanks for the update/correction - clearly I'm not much good on Windows ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Has anyone tried Photolemur? I gave it a whirl with one NEF image and it came up with much the same result as I had got with my methods, but it does (from the adverts) seem quite clever and reasonably fast

11. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    I've been using ON1 since it first came out as plug-ins for LR. I chose them as a relatively inexpensive but full featured 16 bit editor and because they bought the rights to Genuine Fractals resize. Up to then I'd been doing 8 bit editing with PS Elements. The ON1 software has some all the typical tools but it's a terrible company. Consistently over advertises and under performs. They came out with a complete new version in 2017 in order to incorporate RAW conversion and DAM. Two years later they still haven't recovered all of the editing functionality from the original version. And it's still slow, buggy, and unstable. In retrospect it's been an awful lot of trouble to avoid signing up for a subscription.

12. I use DXO PhotoLab with Affinity Photo, my PP software is covered.

13. GPNeville

GPNeville

Apr 1, 2009
    UK
    Cybertec69 - snap I use those too. Does the new DxO Nik Collection work properly with Afinity Photo now?

14. Perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GPNeville

GPNeville

Apr 1, 2009
    UK
    Cool, thanks Nick. Think I'll get it while it's still at the reduced price.

16. Yes

17. GPNeville

GPNeville

Apr 1, 2009
    UK
    Thanks, and I can confirm that the 2018 Nik collection works perfectly with Affinity Photo now. A very happy camper!

18. RICaneFan

RICaneFan

Jan 1, 2018
    Does Gimp handle raw?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.