1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photoshop beast build - Would love your thoughts

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Nchesher, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DDR3 is not worth it. Get good quality plain jane 800 MHz DDR2. At a clock speed of 400MHz, your memory will be running at it's designed speed of 800MHz, and your Q9450 will be running at 3.2GHz.

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca

I was on board until we got down to the hard drives.

I would pickup a Seagate 7200.11 Sata II 500 gb drive for your main storage, the 32mb cache model, and pick up a Seagate 7200.11 Sata II 1TB for your photo storage.

Both drives are close enough in speed that the money saved is well worth the added space.

3. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Well I pulled the trigger last night. I changed some things around a bit. Here's what I bought.

Lian-Li case that David mentioned. Thanks.
    EVGA 680i MOBO.
    8gb OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 RAM.
    Same processor.
    I went with Baracudda 7200RPM HD's. One 500 for C: and one 750 for storage
    Corsair 520W PSU. It had modular cabling. I decided it was worth the extra cash for a cleaner case.
    I also went with the Zalman cooler.

I decided RAID wasn't really necessary. I was torn over getting a raptor HD for the C: but they didn't have any in stock. The velociraptor wasn't worth the money IMO. Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm sure some of you will see some issues with what I ended up with but I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.