Photoshop book II

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I recently posted a thread requesting suggestions for a book on Photoshop CS. I got several nice replies with surprising unanimity in recommending The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby.

I bought that book, and I'm quite pleased with it. I'd like to thank all who recommended it. I've only had it a few days and I've already learned much from it.

Now I'd like to go beyond Kelby's book. It is a great set of recipes for doing most of the common tasks one wants to perform on a digital photograph, but it is all how and no why. For example, if you want to learn about "levels", it is first mentioned on p. 86 in a prescription for fixing foreground flash effects. It says to press Control-L to bring up the levels dialog and move the output levels slider to the left. Well, that works, but why? What are "levels" and what is accomplished by changing them?

So I'm asking for another recommendation, this time for a book which explains the why behind Photoshop tools. I'm sure that the book I'm seeking was included in responses to my previous query, but I'm asking for a bit more specific suggestions now.

Thanks again, and I look forward to your suggestions.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pa. I go the Photoshop Bible - Professional Edition by Deke McClelland. I like it. There is also a standard edition. You might want to look at both.

Regards,

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    if you can do Kelbys book in a couple days.....???? wellll

I don't want to know why, just how..

4. :lol: Of course I haven't done the whole thing! Unfortunate choice of wording I guess.

I have used several of the tricks, but I would like to have a reference to supplement my understanding as I go along.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Might want to give "Real World Photoshop" a try, it's supposed to be very in-depth. (I'm waiting for the CS2 version which is not out yet).

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pa,
    I have a great suggestion of why and how..

I spend alot of time on the retouching forum on DPR. Not only do they tell you how but often why.

Please feel free to ask questions and post images and enjoy the real gurus of that forum. they are the greatest and most giving and talented real time folks I know.

7. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Adobe Photoshop CS one-on-one, which I've bought after reading Thom Hogan's recommandations, is a very good book precisely because there is no "how" without a "why" in any of the subject covered.

I also like John Shaw's Photoshop field guide, but for another reason: it is all about workflow, and it helped me a lot that way (only available as an e-book: http://www.johnshawphoto.com/news.htm)

Thierry

8. teavenson

teavenson

May 27, 2005
    Covina, CA
    Ben Willmore's 'Photoshop CS Studio Techniques' gives a lot of info on a lot of the Photoshop commands, techniques, etc. I don't think it has been updated for CS2 yet. Its about 700 pages with a CD.

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
  10. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    In addition to the above excellent suggestions, I'd add Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching to the list. She covers so much more than that, explaining techniques that are useful for other photo editing activities.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;