Photoshop CS jpeg file sizes

I've been converting a few RAW files with Photoshop CS since I got it yesterday, and I am surprised at the size of the jpeg files I get. They are less than 1/3 as large as those converted using Nikon Capture or Rawshooter. I checked carefully and the image size and resolution are essentially the same.

Have I got something set wrong? Am I losing something?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Chris101 said:
How are you saving the jpeg files, Save As or Save for Web?

"Save as". Files saved with Rawshooter run 4-5 MB, with NC about 3.5MB, and with PSCS, about 1 MB. All are about 3000 x 2000 pixels at 300 pixels/inch.

Curious.

check the compression factor. that will not only make a big difference in file size but also in the quality of the jpg.

I think you're not using the best compression factor (highest quality = 12). My 12MB camera files are saving as close to 5MB in JPEG 12 quality. My advise on camera pics: store at highest quality possible - that's why we purchase high quality cameras! *LOL*

TOLady said:
I think you're not using the best compression factor (highest quality = 12). My 12MB camera files are saving as close to 5MB in JPEG 12 quality. My advise on camera pics: store at highest quality possible - that's why we purchase high quality cameras! *LOL*

I thought I was. The "Save as" menu with CS is different from that in PS 7.

I was choosing "Maximum", but that was still only quality 10. You have to manually type in 12. That brings it up to 2.5MB, still less than the Rawshooter or NC jpegs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom