Photoshop CS - RAW Editor Help

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by TaffyTim, Aug 26, 2008.

1. I have Adobe Photoshop CS and would like to adjust some NEF files, but as I understand it CS does not have a RAW editor built in !?

What is my best course of action to address this please?

many thanks,

TaffyTim

2. As a D200 user do you think Nikon Capture NX(NX2) is best to use for NEF files?

many thanks,

Taffytim

3. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    cs uses Acr 2.4

4. I have switched from using Lightroom (ACR as in CS3) to NX2 and really like the results.

5. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    You asked what would be the best course of action would be and that would be to upgrade your copy of CS to CS3 before you no longer can. The next version(CS4) will soon be released and there is no guarantee that Adobe will allow an upgrade from what you have to the newest. This policy was implemented with the last release of CS3. Also the upgrade would include the newer ACR and Bridge. After getting the upgrade, you can then download the UPDATES to CS3, ACR, and Bridge. Also there are major improvements in CS3, ACR that will help your processing workflow. The version in CS3 of ACR is reason enough to do the upgrade. Since you already have experience with CS and ACR, the transition shouldn't be difficult.
    You could purchase NX and learn a new software/learning curve, but that is your choice.

6. Wileec

Wileec Guest

ACR in CS3 is the way to go . . .

and it is light years ahead of ACR in CS or even CS2, though CS2 was a big improvement.

At this point, once a person has a solid knowledge of ACR in CS3, if they have done their job and got a good capture with the camera, then ACR is about all one needs to make the most of that capture. (Not trying to make competitive statement in regards to CNX2 - I want to learn it - especially for high ISO shots).

ACR has come a long way - been using it since it was a separate purchase. The other thing that has improved is the amount of support Adobe has built into Photoshop for working with 16-bit files. That, too, is very worth your investment. Support of Adjustment layers, etc. is far better with the newer versions than it was in the CS days.