Photoshop CS2/ACR and Custom Curves

I have the newest version of ACR (3.4) installed already, but I can't figure out how to switch to the custom curve I uploaded to my D7o in ACR. There is a curve-tab, but it seems that 'mid-contrast' and 'custom' are the same.
When I use Capture NX or NC 4.4 I see the difference between both curves. And there are lot more but just those three or four in ACR.

I don't like the idea of opening NC 4.4 first, apply the curve and then open the picture in PS or some other application.

Cheers,
Arvid

AFS said:
ACR does not load camera settings basically at all.
Harrison,
thank you for the info. That's too bad. I then have no other chance but using NC 4.4 and Photoshop or get a NX license....
Has anybody info about the price for a NX license yet?

Cheers,
Arvid

madhatter said:
Harrison,
thank you for the info. That's too bad. I then have no other chance but using NC 4.4 and Photoshop or get a NX license....
Has anybody info about the price for a NX license yet?

Cheers,
Arvid

To load custom curves into a camera NX will NOT do it. I just tried it out. Nikon, for some unknown reason, split it into another program called capture control. I've been playing with it with good results.

Maestrodawg1 said:
To load custom curves into a camera NX will NOT do it. I just tried it out. Nikon, for some unknown reason, split it into another program called capture control. I've been playing with it with good results.
Sorry, maybe I did not make that too clear: it's was not about loading curves into my camera.
I wanted to select between the curves that were in the camera when the picture was taken.

Cheers,
Arvid

Chris101 said:
You can emulate the curve with ACR, then save it as the default.
But I then won't use the in-cam curve. And I've been told that there would be a difference between using the curve while shooting or applying a curve in PS afterwards.
It then might be a better idea to open NC 4.4 to select the desired curve from the NEF and save it and then open it again in PS. If this will work and the settings aren't lost... are they?
Or I switch to NX, what might be a good idea, too.

Cheers,
Arvid

Harrison,

AFS said:
for many people this is not the right time to switch to NX. Give it a few months (after the retail version is out and the first update or two) and then try :smile:

I already played with NX and I really like it. I am just afraid, what it will cost and that I have to buy Camera Control, too, if I can't use NC in future.

Cheers,
Arvid

Real Name
Chris
madhatter said:
... I've been told that there would be a difference between using the curve while shooting or applying a curve in PS afterwards. ...
The curve in PS and the curve in ACR are two different things. The 'in-camera' curve of your camera is just settings for NC to set a curve with - and a curve set by NC is similar to a curve set by ACR.

madhatter said:
Harrison,

I already played with NX and I really like it. I am just afraid, what it will cost and that I have to buy Camera Control, too, if I can't use NC in future.

Cheers,
Arvid

Some people are having problems with the old capture and NX on one computer, some aren't. I'm using NX only to be safe. And to be honest, I don't really miss capture. I just can't wait for the updates to NX, since its already good enough for me, and once we can resize curves panes we'll be set :wink:

AFS said:
Some people are having problems with the old capture and NX on one computer, some aren't.
I did not have any problems either. So, at the moment I can still use NC to upload curves to the D70.
Maybe there are only issues for the Win versions?

Cheers,
Arvid

madhatter said:
Harrison,

You can save and use custom curves in ACR but, as far as I know, there's no way to read the curves directly from your camera.

Check out this link for information on how to download a variety of custom curves that you can use in ACR.

http://www.pbase.com/oldskoo1/the_curves

In PS CS2 curves are saved in
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\Curves

If you don't find a curve you like which has been developed by someone else, simply make whatever adjustments you prefer and save the curve yourself so you can use it on subsequent photos.

Once you have several curves saved in ACR, you can forget all about in-camera curves and simply click on what ever curve you prefer in ACR.

I use this feature all the time.

:smile:

Bob Walters said:
You can save and use custom curves in ACR but, as far as I know, there's no way to read the curves directly from your camera.
Thanks. Okay, this is what I thought.

Thank you for the link. I use the Optima curve at the moment in the D70. But I preferred taking the curve in the came rather than the same applied afterwards in ACR. The results are slightly different.

Cheers,
Arvid

madhatter said:
...............I preferred taking the curve in the came rather than the same applied afterwards in ACR. The results are slightly different.

Cheers,
Arvid

I admit that I haven't done any scientific tests, but to my eye there wasn't any detectable difference way back when I was experimenting with in camera curves. What differences should I look for?

As far as I know, only Nikon software will apply the in-camera adjustments during Raw conversion. For me that means applying adjustments during post processing because I am not willing to put up with clunky Nikon software unless someone can show me a significant advantage. So far I haven't seen it.

Because I haven't seen any significant advantages, I'm perfectly happy applying curves, if any, in ACR along with any other manual, semi-automatic, or automatic post processing.

Nikon makes great cameras. Adobe makes great software. :Crunk:

Bob Walters said:
I admit that I haven't done any scientific tests, but to my eye there wasn't any detectable difference way back when I was experimenting with in camera curves. What differences should I look for?
I cant say, if that really is the truth, because flipping through my bookmarks I was only able to find one source referring to this issue. [Link.]
There are some example pictures when scrolling down to almost half of the document.

Because I haven't seen any significant advantages, I'm perfectly happy applying curves, if any, in ACR along with any other manual, semi-automatic, or automatic post processing.
I think the differences aren't not that noticeable. The author from that link above is talking about a zero-to-two percent difference. That's negligible.

I think what made me want to stick to the in-camera-curves was the idea of using film-like material. When loading a new/another curve into my camera it is like switching from Agfa Optima to Kodak Kodachrome 64... if there were a curve like Kodachrome. I still did not find the time/peace to try building one on my own.

Sometimes too much flexibility is nothing for me. :Depressed

Nikon makes great cameras. Adobe makes great software. :Crunk:
Ack. Equally expensive, too. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Arvid

AFS said:
that's part of what keeps me with Nikon software regardless of what adobe does, with the other being high ISO noise.
Pardon? What high ISO noise? Caused by PP with Adobe software?

Cheers,
Arvid

AFS said:
Some people are having problems with the old capture and NX on one computer, some aren't. I'm using NX only to be safe. And to be honest, I don't really miss capture. I just can't wait for the updates to NX, since its already good enough for me, and once we can resize curves panes we'll be set :wink:

I'm running Capture 4.4 and NX on the same machine (same drive) under Windows and have had no problems. Not sure what version of .NET I have.
So far so good. I like it and would appreciate some of the changes that have been discussed here, e.g., scalebale curves palette, better browser, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom