Photoshop CS2 and Mac's new Tiger. Any issues?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by JAM, Apr 30, 2005.

1. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm impressed with the new version of Photoshop, and my Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) is on the way. I've noticed that some applications have been updated for use with Tiger and am curious if anyone has noticed any issues with this combination?

2. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Nope...working perfectly on my Dual 2GHz G5 running 10.4.1.

C

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I installed both packages at the same time, and I've never been happier with Photoshop's performance than I am with CS2 under 10.4.1.

4. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Chris,

I haven't had any issues with third-party plug-ins yet...have you?

C

5. In general I think it is a good idea to have a bit of patience with .0 OSX releases. Two or more updates or so.

Unless you don't mind running into the inevitable problems.

6. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    I agree for most non-power users. I have always been a bleeding-edger...always the latest and greatest. Most of the time, there aren't any issues...if so, they are fixed pretty quickly. Obviously Adobe and Apple worked closely for the CS2 and Tiger releases.

Cheers,

C

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

The biggest problem I had was the 1.0 version of Bridge was snail slow... but the 1.01 is pretty good.
    And make sure your at 10.4.1, tiger 10.4 wasn't quite ready for prime time when apple released it

8. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I have both and I have actually noticed that CS2 has crashed maybe twice upon launch. I just relaunch and it's fine, but it kind of upset me that it happened at all. I switched to a Mac platform to avoid this. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Mine hasn't crashed once...

What Mac? Any third-party RAM? Are you at 10.4.1 and Bridge 1.0.1? Have you tried repairing disk permissions?

C

10. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi Cory,

Here's my info:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 9.0 (9.0x196)
    Operating System: Mac OS 10.4.1
    System architecture: PowerPC G4 with AltiVec
    Physical processor count: 1
    Processor speed: 1500 MHz
    Built-in memory: 1280 MB
    Free memory: 572 MB
    Memory available to Photoshop: 1225 MB
    Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %
    Image cache levels: 6

OS X and Photoshop are both up to date. It's a Powerbook, which I just bought. I installed it on a clean system. It hasn't crashed lately, but it seems like it shouldn't ever have at all.

11. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    I think it might have been due to disk permissions. Did you run Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions after installing CS2? If not, sometimes the permissions on apps can be incorrect after install, and can cause the app to crash.

If it only crashed once or twice right after installation, it should be rock solid now.

C

12. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I never ran the utility. You see, I'm new to the Mac platform and haven't picked up the nuances. Anyways, thank you very much for the tips, I appreciate it!

13. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Mike...

Not a problem...see PM.

14. I wouldn't count on that. Each company is motivated by what's in front of their nose. Adobe would have fussed over Tiger, but Apple was busy just getting Tiger done.

There are almost always sweet spots in stability. That is where I like to live when it comes to using a computer. For me this means separate machines as I actually work on the things we are talking about.

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The only 3P plugin I use is Grain Surgery. I don't use it that often, but in the dozen or so times I have with this combination, it has worked flawlessly.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Mike,

It isn't that applications never crash on a Mac, they do. It's that an application crash does not effect the system nor any other applications, so you can just re-run the offending program, and all is good.

Actually any UNIX system works like that, because application memory is protected. A program cannot address memory outside of it's own allotment.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Dave. I was unaware of Bridge 1.0.1. I'ma gonna go get it now.

Is any software ever rfpt when released?

18. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Bridge 1.0.1 is much faster and more stable...enjoy.

C