Photoshop CS3 book for newbie

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by wbeem, May 21, 2007.

1. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Hi there,

I tried searching for this answer, but didn't find anything so far. Yesterday, I plunked down my AMEX for a copy of Photoshop CS3 and it's loaded on my MacBook Pro. Now what?

There are some videos on a DVD with a product, but I think I need something in a tutorial format to help me understand the application.

Does anyone have recommendations for a Photoshop CS3 book, particularly for someone with no prior experience with the product? Thank you.

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Check out the Lynda.com training videos.

You can watch many demo sessions for free and If you like it you can then purchase their products.

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=228

Check out Photoshop CS3 One-on-One: The Essentials for a good introduction. The first 14 chapters are free to watch.

Regards

RFC

3. I second RFC's suggestion. some very good stuff in there.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

5. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    Scott Kelby has a CS2 book that I find very helpful for this newbie and I suppose it is a matter of time before he has one out for CS3. I have PSE 4.0 experience then CS2 and now CS3 but I still refer to this book a lot. It has some step by step instructions for very popular effects and fixes. Take it from there to improvise and customize what you want to do but it gives a nice basis to start. Hope it helps...Scott

6. Adobe Photoshop CS3 Classroom in a Book is what I purchased. IT may be a bit tough for a beginner, but if you work with it there is much in there. Includes a DVD of resources including those RFC listed above.
    Dave

7. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Thanks. I have Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Handbook and (mostly) enjoy it, and I've learned he has an excellent reputation for Photoshop books.

I'll keep an eye out for his CS3 book, but don't think I want to try and translate between versions.

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Thanks, Dave. It sounds like what I want, based upon the title. I also like it when they include the resource files for the exercises. Some of my previous books try to tell you how to do something, but you can't follow along without the same resources.

9. It is available at adobe.com or adobepress.com
    ISBN-13 978-0-321-49202-9

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.