Photoshop CS3 Cross-Platform Upgrade Nightmare

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by MarkR, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    I am so mad at Adobe right now ... :mad:

I called last Thursday to do a cross-platform upgrade from Photoshop CS2 for Windows to Photoshop CS3 for Mac. They took the order, gave me transaction and case numbers, and asked that I fax the software destruction letter to them. I faxed the letter last Friday morning. I even removed CS2 from my Windows machine.

As of this afternoon there was no sign of a package and nothing is showing up on Adobe's site. So I call them and they tell me my request was denied because the serial number I gave them is for an upgrade version of CS2. I said yes, I upgraded from CS. Gave them that serial number and it is also an upgrade. I then gave them my 7.0 serial number and they said it was invalid. Apparently, they will only do the cross-platform upgrade if you give them a full-version serial number.

It sure would have been nice to have been notified about the order rejection, though I don't understand why they did not know about this issue last Thursday when I placed the order. Their customer service really stinks!!

So, thanks to a truly crappy policy, if I want CS3 for Mac I will have to pay $450 more than the regular upgrade price. Thanks Adobe - I'm so glad I've been a loyal customer all these years. I wish I knew someone that could get me academic pricing for CS3 Mac.

Enough of my rant. I hope no one else has this kind of problem with Adobe.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I had a similar argument with their customer no-service department after I downloaded the upgrade for the Mac but it wouldn't upgrade the PS portion of my Creative Suite. "We consider that a downgrade" was the response . . :eek:

It didn't matter to them that I had a valid version, or that I had another valid version of PS alone on my PC. Their only solution was to upgrade my PC THEN apply for the cross-platform transfer . . .

3. Why was 7.0 invalid?

If it was a legal copy it would not have come up invalid.

Can you go back further v 5, or 6? They must be legal, valid copies tho.

Due to a cus svc person's inexpierence, I almost got hooked like that. Try again from the beginning. The x platform will only cost you postage. That's worth fighting for. :)

G'luck

4. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    I don't know why 7.0 was invalid, but that was my original full-retail version. Unfortunately, I think I'm stuck having to get the full-retail of CS3 for Mac because I called several times and got the same response from 4 different customer service reps - the last one was definitely experienced and knew her stuff. They don't have great records going back that far, and they're enforcing a poor policy.

5. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Sorry to hear about this Adobe policy, but they do state on their PS CS3 FAQ (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/) that they do not allow cross platform upgrade of "software to an Adobe Creative Suite 3 version." However, I have read on various fora that sometimes these cross platform upgrades were allowed. I also have been thinking about switching to an Apple platform. Right now I am trying to decide whether to make that switch and ditch Adobe products, or to stick with Windows and upgrade to CS3. I am strongly leaning toward giving up on Adobe, especially when I remember the nightmare I had installing my CS2 upgrade (purchased directly from Adobe, my original verson was PS 5, with upgrades to PS 6 & 7 but not CS) and license on my current computer. Their install program would not accept the license # they had given me and then proceeded to corrupt my Windows registry file. Fortunately, I was able to restore from a backup, and eventually got CS2 installed in spite of the lack of help from Adobe customer service. At that time I was very close to demanding my money back for the CS2 upgrade. Now I am actively looking into alternatives to PS for my photographic workflow.

6. Gerry, if indeed you do switch to a Mac, you might be very happy with Aperture in lieu of CS3. I use it for 99.9% of my post-processing and am very satisfied with the results I get from it. However, I don't do much more than basic PP -- I don't get into using layers and filters and different effects: I pretty much try to present the image as I saw it and as it was recorded in the camera..... I do have CS2 and there have been some occasions when I've jumped into it to do a little more to a particular image or two, but for the most part I am using Aperture as my primary PP tool. I haven't rushed to get CS3 yet....

7. I'm not using my (legal) Aperture.. Like CS3 too much. If you're interested in a good buy send me a pm.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

8. Mark,

Have you thought about getting the CS3 upgrade for Windows, then asking Adobe for the crossgrade to Mac version of CS3? I know they will not let you upgrade cross-platform, but they will allow you to cross-grade the CURRENT shipping version. For example, if you bought the full retail version of Photoshop CS3 now and 6 months later bought a Mac, then you can cross-grade to the mac version for shipping/handling and taxes. They WILL NOT let you go from Windows PS CS2 to Mac PS CS3. They would have let you exchanged Windows PS CS2 to Mac PS CS2, but CS3 is the current shipping version now.

Mike

9. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Mike,

Their issue is that they don't have a record of my ever having a full-retail version of Photoshop, even though I did have a full-retail Photoshop 7. Unfortunately I don't have the disk anymore (I did not sell it - just lost it somewhere). I only have the serial number in a file. I guess I must have copied it down wrong. Since I "don't have" a full-retail version they would not let me do what you suggest either. Nothing without evidence of a full-retail version.

10. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I will investigate that possiblility with Adobe. In spite of my reservations with some of their policies, I am too dependent on Photoshop to switch without at least considering the CS3 upgrade.

Thanks Connie and Stephen for the suggestions on Aperture. I am investigating that alternative now. I have also been using my son's 2 year old Powerbook with PS CS2 a bit, but I am not ready to make the jump to Apple just yet. Still considering the pros and cons with respect to other software that I use ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007