Photoshop CS3 - won't run in Windows 7

Just downgraded from a working Pentium 4 3Ghz 2.5 Gig RAM machine (5 years old or close to it) to a quad-core 3-Ghz (each core) 8 Gig RAM machine and installed Windows 7 RC.
Photoshop CS3 installed just fine. Trouble is, when I start it up I get an error message and Windows shuts it down cold.

Typically, Adobe forums won't let me ask a question over there. I guess they don't want to be bothered by actual customers.

They (adobe) PROMISE that CS3 should work OK with Win7.
Do any of you here at the Cafe have words of wisdom for me as to any fixes? Many have been able to run CS3, no?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You have not said what the error message is, which makes it rather hard to guess.

Lots of people say they have CS3 and CS4 running under Windows 7.

It is running all other programs OK?

Is this the 32 bit version of W7 or the 64 bit version?

The error message said absolutely nothing other than it was shutting down Photoshop.

I tracked what was loading at the time, and it was the Epson R1900 sampler (plugin) of Nic software.

SUCCESS! I removed the offending plugin and it seems like Photoshop will run now. At least, I have one picture open ready to work. I hope the Topaz and Photoshop Mama's actions will work.

Thanks, Epson, for the headache. Free software ain't always free.

FALSE HOPE.
Setting up Topaz Simplify bombed.
The complete Windoze error message: (hope you are ready!)
Adobe Photoshop CS3 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The only option is a box "Close program"

So, the technical issue is: "you got a problem"

I downloaded Topaz DeNoise as though it was a new trial function, and Topaz sent me the key I had purchased, and so now, my PSCS3 and Topaz plugins are working really nice!

Am happy to see the "speedometer" go from a few % of the CPU (while setting the Topaz control points/sliders) up to 90 to 100% CPU (after clicking OK) --- and instead of several minutes later getting the picture, I get the Topazed picture back in ONLY 5 to 10 seconds later! Love my new quad-core PhenomII 945!

I downloaded Topaz DeNoise as though it was a new trial function, and Topaz sent me the key I had purchased, and so now, my PSCS3 and Topaz plugins are working really nice!

Am happy to see the "speedometer" go from a few % of the CPU (while setting the Topaz control points/sliders) up to 90 to 100% CPU (after clicking OK) --- and instead of several minutes later getting the picture, I get the Topazed picture back in ONLY 5 to 10 seconds later! Love my new quad-core PhenomII 945!

And what did it have to do with Adobe???:eek::eek::biggrin:

Started out that trying to start PS it never would really start. Wouldn't start at all. The Micros**t error messages were completely useless. I wasn't able to get any help from Adobe either.

It wasn't until after I did more independent troubleshooting that I saw it was hanging up while trying to load a plugin module.

So, as other people switch to Win7, if they encounter something like this problem, a simple search will get this message thread.

Started out that trying to start PS it never would really start. Wouldn't start at all. The Micros**t error messages were completely useless. I wasn't able to get any help from Adobe either.

It wasn't until after I did more independent troubleshooting that I saw it was hanging up while trying to load a plugin module.

So, as other people switch to Win7, if they encounter something like this problem, a simple search will get this message thread.

The problem wasn't with Adobe or PS, it was with Topaz, how could Adobe help with that?
I'm curious as to why you state Adobe forums wouldn't "let" you ask a question? Were you logged in?

The problem wasn't with Adobe or PS, it was with Topaz, how could Adobe help with that?
I

No, the initial problem was not with Topaz. It was a Nik software plugin that was contained within the Program Files/ Adobe/Photoshop/ area (not in the "independent" folder where I put the other actions and plugins).
At the time, YES, IT SEEMED to be an Adobe problem because Windows said PHOTOSHOP had to be stopped. The Windows message said NOTHING about "A Plugin made me stop Photoshop". Jeez, you are getting so legalistic about this thing.:mad:

And yes, I was LOGGED IN to the Adobe Photoshop forum! There was no apparent method to address Windows 7 issues.

Thanks Bill.
All I am pointing out is that it was a third party issue that caused the problem.
Pleased you are sorted and running again!!
Free things!!!:mad::mad::wink::wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom