1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PhotoShop Elements

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Colyn, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    In comparison to PhotoShop what is missing in Elements and are those missing features really needed for most image post processing tasks??

2. I'm not sure about PSE 6, but in PSE 5, they didn't have layer masks built in, though you could buy an action that added them. One workaround was grouping an adjustment layer to a regular layer for a workaround layer mask. Layers and layer masks are very important for editing images IMHO. In all honesty, for basic, and even intermediate to slightly advanced image editing, you can get by with PSE. I upgraded to CS3 because I liked the vanishing point feature. Ask me how many times I use that... LOL In CS3, I have the ability to work with paths and channels which I do occasionally. In all honesty though, I could go back to Elements, and do just fine with my images.

3. You can actually create a layer mask by doing an adjustment layer, say a levels adjustment layer. Then don't change the levels, but use the mask it puts on that layer to do what you'd need the adjustment mask for.

Elements doesn't run more complex actions or have a true curves adjustment, but I do all that in Lightroom and only do some pixel edits (like skin retouching, cloning) in elements.

4. Yep, that's what I used to do as a layer mask work around until I purchased Grafficalicous Action Pack, which had a true layer mask and channel mixer, as well as many other occasionally used things.

5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
  6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    lab colors...

and the biggest thing is what they cut out of ACR... at least for me it's a big thing...

smart sharpening...

7. Cliffords

Cliffords Guest

PS Elements 6 article

Colyn, I am in the middle of writing a series of articles from the eyes of a Photoshop CS3 user. I've been using PS since version 2. Elements is both similar and very different. My article explains how I learn programs and I hope to come to a conclusion about Elements use for professionals. Give a look.
    www.photos4clix.com
    PS: you can NOT work in CMYK in Photoshop Elements 6; but that's not a deal breaker for me.
    Cliff

8. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Grant's tools

wonder if and how I can use them with Elements 6?
    Thank you
    Running Vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  9. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    It's been a while since I used Elements. I had v4. Do they allow you to make your own actions now? That and ACR and Bridge and Photomerge and others. I don't know what Elements has now, but that is what I like about CS3.

10. Unless they've added actions in PSE 6, then no, they don't have that ability.

11. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

You can use actions in Elements 6, however, its a little tricky to do. Its not as cut and dry as doing it in photoshop, but it can be done.

Elements 6 does have Camera Raw, which is good, and it also has photomerge for pano's and a HDR tool..

IF you were intimidated by photoshop, then Elements would be the way to go, its setup very easy, and has the power of photoshop. And its far cheaper than photoshop.

Hope this helps

12. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    In a nut shell then, if all you are doing is general stuff like color correcting and like you mentioned in your OP then Elements will be ok. But I think Adobe makes Elements just to wet your whistle for full blown PShop...I know it did mine:biggrin:.I think that the ability to create my own actions is the best thing...I put my email and name as a watermark on my photos so I made an action to do it for me. Plus I save it two different ways one high rez and one low rez with my sig lines. So I created an action to do it all. All I have to do is put in a name when the time comes. Plus I have an action that I created that creates a new layer for each of the main adjustment tools. It just goes on and on.:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.