Photoshop For a beginner

I am thinking about getting a photoshop, & I want one for a beginner. I am
not very good with a computer. I want to get something to touchup photos.
I don' t want anything thats real exspensive. Thanks.

I've had good luck with Adobe Photoshop Elements in the past. Version 9 is the latest, and it would be helpful to spend a little time looking at tutorials for tips. I also got a book by Scott Kelby that was a huge help. Maybe check Amazon.com.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Here is a thread that speaks to this question. The recommendation in that thread was to start with Picasa, which is a free program. Why don't you see if that will work for you? If not, then I would recommend Elements as your next option.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned Photoshop Elements is a good starting point if your not looking to spend a lot of money. I suggest picking up one of Scott Kelby's book as a good reference to help you get started as you mention you're not very good with a computer.

Just some other options you may want to consider if you're just looking to touch up pictures is Lightroom (I don't use this but many swear by it) or Capture NX2 (you can pick up Jason Odells book for reference).

I'd say dive right in to Photoshop CS5. If you're going to be learning something new, might as well be the real thing.

I'd say dive right in to Photoshop CS5. If you're going to be learning something new, might as well be the real thing.

Photoshop CS5 = $650
Photoshop Elements 9 = $75

If the OP needs are a little bit of cropping, maybe some sharpening, B/W conversion once in a while, adding a border or some text, then the $575 premium for "the real thing" seems a bit steep.

I have been using Photoshop since v5 and I tried to go the gimp way....it is no easier to learn than photoshop and has way less resources for it......I have never used Picassa, so cannot comment on it.....LR has many great uses and I love it but it is not a pixel editor as it seems the OP needs or wants......might also look at Portrait Professional for touching up portraits......

Look into the Corel Paintshop or as mentioned above Photoshop Elements....there are university's that their lowest level photoshop courses use elements.......

Do not go out an buy any of these until you download the trial version and give it a run....then when you decide which you want check Amazon to see if there are any USED books for the exact software you decide on......

Good Luck

M

mayhem7

See if you can buy a used licence on e-bay or craigslist or where ever you trade used stuff where you are from. You can even use an old license to get a very cheap new original update!

Newegg had Elements 9 on Thursday for $59 with a $20 Adobe mail in rebate making the final cost $39.99. Pretty good deal.

Elements get you basic retouching and what you learn can be applied to photoshop if you get there. Since the price is so low, I predict there is a new version due soon, $100+.
If past hold true, there will be an upgrade to Phostoshop CS6 from elements 9 pretty cheap.

I suggest you download a trial or just buy it.

Free stuff is worth about what you pay.

starting out, take small steps, for it can be confusing at first.......take advantage of manufacturer tutorials and also those on youtube

Latest threads

Top Bottom