Photoshop guides.

When I will use the guides (selected in: View-guides) I drag the 2 crossed lines from upper left corner into the picture, but when I release the mousebutton, they disappear! Why is that?
For this reason, I have trouble using the "snap to" concept. Also the "snap to" concept in "grid" I can't seem to get working!?
Henrik

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Must be a bit different in your version.
In CS6 it is View/New Guide.
Then it asks if you want horizontal or vertical.

Then to move the guide you use the Move tool, and drag the guide.

Hope this helps.

I select: view-rulers and when I click the 2 small, dotted cross-haris in the upper, left corner, I can drag these 2 lines into the picture, but when i release the mouse-button, they disappear again!

I select: view-rulers and when I click the 2 small, dotted cross-haris in the upper, left corner, I can drag these 2 lines into the picture, but when i release the mouse-button, they disappear again!

You're resetting the zero point, i.e., the origin of the x,y axis. Notice how the rulers change when you've used your method. This ability to reset zero is useful when you want the origin to conform to a specific point on your document (like the exact center). To reset the origin to the default, just double click those dotted cross hairs.

In order to drag a ruler guide to your document, you must drag them one at a time -- from the x ruler down or from the y ruler across -- or insert them with the dialog as Richard mentioned. Also useful: In the New Guide dialog, you can enter percentages as well as numeric coordinate values. For example, if you want a vertical guide at the center of an 8x10 document, you can enter "4" in the dialog OR you can enter 50%. This is much more convenient when dealing with docs that have odd dimensions. :)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

As Lucky Duck says, you are recalibrating the rulers, not adding a guide. You need to add a guide not add a ruler!

I am now confused on a higher level! Please tell me, how I can make lines to which I can "snap on" different layers or pictures??

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
See my message 2 above. Did you try it?

You need to add a guide. Not a ruler. Forget about rulers.

View/New guide.
Then drag the guide to where you want it using the Move tool, which you find in the toolbox.

You can add lots of guides. Horizontal and vertical.

Elements 10 works exactly the same as CSx.

Drag a guide in from either the horizontal or vertical ruler.

OR,

Go to the VIEW Menu and right on the bottom it says "New Guide". The pop up box allows you to choose Horizontal or Vertical and the position.

If you leave the position at zero it appears right next to the ruler.

DG

I have elements ver. 7 and I don't seem to have that option in the view-menu? Nor can I drag the ruler, as You described.
Henrik

I have a "legacy" copy of Elements 6 and I agree that it is not possible with earlier versions.

DG

Thank's for Your answers, I have thrown the towel in the ring now!!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom