Photoshop Newbie Has Questions

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, May 11, 2005.

1. Okay, I have to admit I'm about 2 notches below PhotoShop 101. :oops:
    I am really an amateur with it. I have PhotoShop 7.0 and have just been given a zip-file for Velvia. Only problem I have is I don't have the slightest idea how to get it into my PS program. I'm really new at all this computer stuff and need someone who has the patience to walk me through the process, step by step. Any patient teachers out there?

2. Chris, PM me your phone number and i'll take you thru it

3. Hi, Chris.

Aside from Sandi walking you through, you might find this site of help for getting up-to-speed w/ PS -- it does assume you have some basic knowledge of photography though.

http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/

I suspect what you have their is just a file for applying a Velvia curve adjustment in PS. If so, after you unzip the file into an easily accessible location (eg. My Document folder) and opened up your photo file in PS, you should be able to load the curve adjustment via Image -> Adjust -> Curves -> Load. There are other more complicated ways you can use the curve adjustment, eg. via layers.

Most of this stuff are covered to some extent in the above tutorial site. The use of a Velvia curve on a color photo would be like the use of one of the classic tone curves on a B&W photo found on that site (under the B&W section).

If what you actually have there is a PS action, well, I guess Sandi will walk you through that as that site doesn't seem to explicitly touch on how to use actions -- though it offers some. If you want a tutorial on actions (and some free actions to try out too), you might try this old page set up by a DPR forum member a long while back:

http://www.geocities.com/kafuensis/

Hope all this helps ya...

_Man_

4. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Chris.....

Open the zip file. It the uncompressed file has an .atn extension then it is an action file, which you can load in your action palate and then use.

Hope this helps

Regards

5. Well, this cd be a curve, an action or a plugin, won't know until we hear back from Chris.

6. Sorry, folks, I've been working out in the shop. (I'm several months behind schedule on a really big desk I'm building for a client)

Sandi, I hate for you to spend the money on a phone call if you can walk me through it on-line. The file Simon sent to me was an .atm file.

_Man_, as far as my photographic background, I was a professional photographer for 27 years. Got out of the business about 12 years ago and am just now getting back into it in the digital area and just looking to have some fun...............(read "no deadlines"). Lots to learn both about computers and digital photography.

I have to run up the road to pick up a part for my tractor. So I'll be away from the keyboard for a while.

7. Chris, I get free north american phone service so the cost is no problem. I'll have to type my fingers to the bone to walk you thru installing and then opening an action file if you're not familiar at all with them. If you are familiar with them, store the atn file where you know it will stay, go to the Actions Palette, the small triangular arrow at the top and go to Load Action, then aim back to where you stored the atn file. You can then run the atn on your picture. Hope this helps, Cheers, S

8. Well, I guess Chris must have gotten it figured out. Any samples?

9. Sandi,

I pm'd you shortly after your last thread. Then I e-mailed you this afternoon. Guess I'm not doing something right if you haven't heard from me. I won't be on-line until tomorrow afternoon. I'll e-mail you then. Sorry we are having problems getting together. I really do want your help.

10. Chris, nothing received at this end ??? :( no outstanding PMs and no mail.
    Try this: unzip the file, let's call it 'velvia.atn' to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Photoshop Actions folder.
    Open up the picture you want to edit, then on the Actions Pallette, press the little blue triangle at the top (Pic1).

Scroll cursor down to Load Actions (Pic2). Go to where you stored the atn file, highlight the Velvia atn, and hit LOAD (pic3). The Velvia Action folder will then appear in your actions pallette. Press the little blue arrow beside the folder icon, which will open up the action folder. Then highlight the word Velvia and press the right arrow at the bottom of the Actions pallette (pic4) which will run the action on your picture.
    View attachment 8608
    View attachment 8609
    View attachment 8610
    Hope this helps.

11. Okay Sandi, I just e-mailed you again. We'll see if this one goes through.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sandi -- that's very nicely illustrated!

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. On left toolbar, highlight SHAPES, then on top toolbar, hit dropdown list beside the small SHAPES tool, and you'll see all the shapes available. Draw your shape and then rotate and move it where you want it. Hope this helps, Cheers, Sandi

15. well...how do you make the red circles then? j/k! =)

16. Nate, draw a circle and then Edit > Stroke.
    BTW, Nate, if you list all your equipment in your signature in a straight line rather than a list, it saves in scroll downs when we go thru the messages. Old saying in advertising: white space sells nothing! *LOL*

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;