Photoshop "SOFT PROOFING" Issues

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jfenton, Jul 6, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    It seems that I'm having a bear of a time lately when I do the View~Proof Setup thing...especially when using a mat paper such as Cranes Museo, Epsom Velvet. etc.

The preview looks horrible and washed out and no matter how much adjusting I do, I can't seem to get what I'm viewing on my monitor to match an identical open image.

Monitor is definitely calibrated...once a week. I haven't had this issue previously unless the image had lots of red hues in it and I can't see that any settings have changed.

Any suggestions?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Paul

Regular Old CS

Thanks in advance :)

4. Jim, this is the nature of soft proofs. They are duller than what you see on the screen. I was initially shocked when I started "soft proofing", but have now learned that the paper medium, which you are simulating, simply won't look the same way as your screen image. The purpose for soft proofing is basically to pick the appropriate color "intent" for your printed image.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. If you have a calibrated monitor and the right printer ICC profile, your images should look just fine. If you still have a problem, blame it on the printer. Most printers simply just don't have the gamma space to interpret all the colors our eyes see.

5. Jim,

I read somewhere (might have been on Ian Lyons' site: http://www.computer-darkroom.com) that one way to deal with the relative dullness, or lack of contrast of the soft-proofed images (which is how printers really render things) is to close your eyes at the exact moment you enable soft-proofing ... and to reopen them afterwards, of course! ;-) This makes your mind ignore the somewhat abrupt transition and let you concentrate on the color intent, as Virginia said.

I have done this myself, and I must say that it works! :lol:

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Jim,

What luminance is your monitor calibrated to? For softproof it should be below 80, especially for narrow gamut duller matt papers.

Do you use white/black point compensation while softproofing?

And of course Paul brought up the very valid gamut issue.

If you want, you cam also e-mail me your profiles - monitor and printer - for verification.