Photoshopping...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Mar 2, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Didn't want to steal UF's thread, so I started this one.

My process is almost identical to his. I've actually had this up for a while, just thought it might be interesting in light of Frank's thread.

The step by step details are here:
    http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/lesson07/workflow.html - there's 5 pages, so the part with photoshop comes at the end.

This one was actually pulled from the bin for an example that goes through my entire post processing steps. Most of my images are not this bad and I basically just batch process my NEF's through NC to make TIFFs with minor corrections to a few.

Original image:
    7_4_03t.

Final image:
    7_5_24.

A before and after example:
    [​IMG]

Is all this unethical? I dunno, but it gets me end results like these that my clients are happy with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous Gregory!!

I'm with everyone else on the other thread. It must take the patience of Job to clone out all of those bubbles.... :?

Frank

3. Gregory -

Do you use a graphics tablet? If not, I don't see how you can do this.

After I got mine I went back and fixed a couple pics that I simply could not have done without it. Using the healing brush on a zillion spots is an invitation to carpal-tunnel without it...

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Frank: Thanks... Not really patience, more like perserverance. I'm pretty impatient and really hate processing pics.

David: Yup, I use a Wacom Intuos 2 6x8 (which covers 3 monitors). The thing is my main screen is only 17" I really need to get a 22" monitor for more real estate. The major issue I have is I'm always scrolling around the image and its gets to be a pain.

I don't know about using a mouse, as I've never tried it. Though I think it would be much tougher. The pressure sensitivity makes it easy to clean up large and small debris without having to constantly adjust brush sizes.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gregory,
    I thank you very much for this information. I am going to go through it and have printed it. You did huge amount of work to present this so I figure it must be very worthwhile.. and I will learn from it.

Thank you :!:

Gaye

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow Gaye, Thanks... I'm sure you probably know most of it anyways. It's written more for amateurs and/or noobs.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gregory,

That would be ME :lol: I am an amateur and a noob.. just started all this less than a year ago and have just learned to spell 'aperture'... and am still learning what it is :)

It's a wonderful hobby and one that I hope to continue the rest of my life. I am in my 70's so I have to pack lots in each day inorder to learn it fast and furiously.

The information you have presented on this forum is extremely helpful to me and I will follow it and learn from it. Also I will pass it on to my children and grandkids. They ask me many questions.

Your pictures are beautiful and I always go to them when I see your name on a post.

Thank you very much!

Gaye

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    That would be ME I am an amateur and a noob
    Well, it certainly doesn't show from your work. You look more like you've been doing this stuff longer than me.

and have just learned to spell 'aperture'
    This is going to sound really stupid, but I made up 280 slides for a presentation and discovered how to spell aperture (I spelled it aperature). And I had to go through all my slides and fix it where it popped up.

That was a few months ago - the slides were a prelude to these lessons.

Thanks! for your thoughtful comments. I always wondered how you managed to catch most of my posts. If it weren't for you, methinks there would be far fewer responses in my posts - its comments like yours that keep me posting ;)

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gregory,

That is very funny about your word 'aperture' spelling... I taught second grade for many years and we have 8 kids so I know all about spelling and how important/ unimportant it is :lol:

Keep those posts coming. They are awesome and I am delighted by your use of color and your subjects....and your wonderful little girl with the camera.. WOW!!

Gaye

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gregory & Gaye,

I had the same 'aperature' problem that you did until just a few months ago, and I swear to you that I looked it up in the dictionary before I first used the word in a post over on DPR (didn't want to look like the noob that I am....;-)).

Gregory, while on the subject of words, how do you pronounce Ximina's name? When she grows up and becomes a famous photographer, and I ask her for her autograph, I don't want to mispronounce it.... :oops:

Frank

11. I read a quote that said a photographer is responsible for every pixel in his picture. Attention to detail, whether in
    capture or post processing, is what differentiates between a snapshot and a presentation grade composition.

You do a great job in discharging your responsibilities.

Btw, if it were me, I'd charge clients a 2X premium if they refused to turn off the tank pumps for a few minutes
    while I photographed their fishies.

12. Gaye,

If you intend using Photoshop on a regular basis, you might want to have your keyboard checked over.

There will be times when you'll want to enter numeric parameters and your keyboard is apparently transposing the numbers "4" or "5" with the number "7".

:wink:

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Gaye: Wow! 8 kids! Wow!

uh.. Wow! Do I have respect for you. I'm pulling my hair out with 2!

a 2nd grade teacher too? I think you're the one with the patience, definately not me.

Wow.

Flew: LOL... I kept misspelling it till I did a write up and the word processor's spell checker caught it.

I swear I'm not misspelling it - I think the dictionary misspelled it.

RE: Ximina's name - the X is pronounced as a Z as in Xylophone. So it's ZI-mee-na (I'm an idiot with those pronounciation things).

In some parts of the world the X is prounced like an 'S' (such as in the Vietnamese language). So our relatives and friends call her Sa-mee-na.

One time at the doctor's office, they called her "EX-mee-na."

But we all call her, and she calls herself "ZI-mee-na" Sissy of course, calls er mee-na, and Ximina's always correcting her.

Okay.... Dumb story time. We couldn't figure out a name for her, and as I was driving my wife to the hospital to have our daughter delivered, I pulled the name out of the air, and we agreed.

UncleFrank: I, obviously, suscribe to your ideals on post processing. I started a thread in DPR discussing this issue. Got some quite interesting responses.

As far as charging the clients. Nah, I just emphasize how detrimental it is in the final image - i.e., unsharp, washed out looking photos, and stress that I make no guarentees that the image will look like the ones they see on my website, and they usually promptly shut off the pump. If they don't I simply process half the amount of photos, since it takes me twice as long.