Photozone Releases Review of Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4G on D3x

As expected and pretty much exactly what previous D owners have been saying about the G since its release.

Is it common for a lens to show more CA stopped down than it does wide open ? Thats probably the only thing that surprised me and i must say i cant recall seeing it that often...

Its a lens that shines on the D3x!

Markus -

Do you have an opinion that some of these new lenses on these 12mp FX sensors are really out resolving them? For example the 85G on a 12mp FX sensor shows zero IQ improvement over the Sigma 85 - but on a D3x the 85G pulls away.

Do you have an opinion that some of these new lenses on these 12mp FX sensors are really out resolving them?

They both outresolve the D3x sensor.

For example the 85G on a 12mp FX sensor shows zero IQ improvement over the Sigma 85 - but on a D3x the 85G pulls away.

Not really. Both are more or less on par in the image center (on both sensors). The image borders are softer with the Sigma lens due to heavy coma ... which is also an issue on 12 MP FX.

-- Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

They both outresolve the D3x sensor.

Not really. Both are more or less on par in the image center (on both sensors). The image borders are softer with the Sigma lens due to heavy coma ... which is also an issue on 12 MP FX.

-- Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

Thanks for the followup!

Thanks for the link; it makes my decision easier now since I've been eyeing the sigma. for the price and performance I can live with the downside the cheaper sigma lens has. :)

This review is in stark contrast to what was reported on SLRGear and Lenstip. I'll be buying this lens regardless, I've wanted a fast 85 for a long time now. Now I'm only waiting for any vendor to get them in stock.

... Now I'm only waiting for any vendor to get them in stock.

Unfortunately that's the big problem. :frown: May be quite a while the way things are going.

I've always thought that SLRGear.com's test was anomalous. They speculated in their comparison in the Sigma 85/1.4 review, when talking about the 85/1.4G:

We noted an odd patch of softness in the center of the frame when using the Nikon lens at ƒ/1.4; ... Please note, we have asked Nikon for a different sample of this lens to confirm our test results.

The problem with SLRGear.com is that they don't publish this possibility in the actual review of the 85/1.4G. Indeed, they didn't bother to update the 85/1.4G's review comparison back to the Sigma. Sloppy.

Unfortunately that's the big problem. :frown: May be quite a while the way things are going.

I've always thought that SLRGear.com's test was anomalous. They speculated in their comparison in the Sigma 85/1.4 review, when talking about the 85/1.4G:

The problem with SLRGear.com is that they don't publish this possibility in the actual review of the 85/1.4G. Indeed, they didn't bother to update the 85/1.4G's review comparison back to the Sigma. Sloppy.
Indeed, I had figured it was more likely sample variation or their testing methodology. I've seen enough stellar photos taken with the lens to make my decision though, but I do try to read various test reports to sort of level the playing field, so to speak.

Back to the waiting game though...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom