Photozone Releases Review of Sigma 50mm f/1.4 tested on D3x

I moved from the Nikon 50 1.4G to the Sigma and I couldn't be happier:biggrin:

it lives up to the hype!!.....while the Nikon was boring to me..........:tongue:

copy variation. my sigma 50 was incredibly sharper than my nikon 50g. im not even talking about a comparison of the bokeh, cuz there is no comparison. dont let a single test dissuade you from trying the sigma 50 for yourself, there are plenty of satisfied sigma 50 shooters out there, and this is coming from a nikon snob!:tongue: IF i needed the best 50 out there (with AF), i'd get another sigma without a doubt (fortunately, i am satisfied with my 24g and 85g).

thanks again markus for the effort taken and for sharing your findings!

This is the first review that clearly states that Sigma 50 is not that sharp wide open at distances close to MFD. Exactly the thing I noticed, too. It's plenty sharp when you put a bit of a distance between the lens and your subject, though.

This bothered me as I frequently used it at short distances on DX. I didn't mind the corner softness as I used it as a portrait lens. And when I moved to FX I figured I would use a 50mm focal length differently and a cheap Nikkor 50/1.8D replaced the Sigma 50/1.4 and Sigma 85/1.4 replaced Nikkor 85/1.8D.

But Sigma 50 does have that something and I can see why a lot of people love it.

This test sugests that a) they nay have a bad copy, which does seem to plague Sigma from time to time, and b) the D3x is one demanding mistress. In all seriousness, I have seen to many post here and on FM with this lens producing stellar results to dismiss it out of hand. It odes drive me to look at purchasing from a shop, like B&H, who has a generous return/replacement policy.

jonshonda, more should head your sage advice :)! I am going to be in NC for work later this month, and plan on picking one. I'm sure I will hate myself later.

Thorsten

I've used both and much preferred the Sigma for portraits and such. Sharp, great colors and bokeh. The weaknesses of this lens were irrelevant to me: soft corners don't matter for people pictures, and yes the sharpness also suffers a bit at close focus, but that's about 1.5ft, and I don't take portraits of noses or ears (or if I did, maybe they shouldn't be sharp :smile:). But somebody looking for a landscape of macro lens should certainly look elsewhere.

copy variation. my sigma 50 was incredibly sharper than my nikon 50g.
Than most likely something was wrong with your 50g.

Note that we tested to different copies of the Sigma, one on Canon and one on Nikon. Both showed nearly identical performance. It's hard to imagine that both were flawed exactly the same way. In addition, most common flaws can easily be detected in the lab.

On the other hand, the same day I published the Sigma review I also updated the Nikon 50G FX review, because I ran a retest with a second sample that performed significantly better than the initially tested one ...

The Sigma is sharp in the center for most of the aperture range and it (IMO) currently has the best bokeh of any 50/1.4 out there. But that's about it. Soft corners and fokus shift spoiled the party for me.

-- Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

I had the Nikkor 50g and I wasnt that big of a fan of the focal length, so it stayed in my bag most of the time. After starting to do more and more portrait work I began pulling it out of the bag more. I then tried the Sigma 50mm from a friend and could honestly notice a difference, personal taste or whatever, but it wasnt just the famously better bokeh, it was a mixture of things. I sold my Nikkor and bought the Sigma, and now I keep it on for more than just portrait work, which was something I just didnt do with the Nikkor. I dont mind the focal length on my d90 with the Sigma now, since every shot I take with it is extremely sharp, colors are great, and of course the bokeh. I would never recommend the Nikkor over the Sigma to someone, nor have I since switching.

The review we're talking about here is about the performance on FX. A dedicated DX review will follow, soon.

-- Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de
I realize that, the focal length has nothing to do with why I chose the Sigma over the Nikkor, nor why I like it better. Both lenses will have the same focal length obviously on my D90, DX, I was simply stating that I never liked the 50mm focal length on a DX camera, but once I starting shooting with the Sigma, I was willing to look past that since I liked everything else about the lens so much...

I had both and kept the Sigma. But Sigma is not incredibly sharper. At that time I was on DX and Sigma's corner softness was not even evident.

Sharpness contest winners:

Close focus, wide open - Nikkor
Mid/far distance, wide open, center - Sigma
Everyting else, center - even
Corners - never really cared about that

"Character" - Sigma
Focus speed - Sigma

i agree, the 50g was much softer than i expected. the AF was fine, so the softness had to come from some slop in the alignment of the elements. it's probably the only lens i had that did not agree with your findings/results. every other lens i've owned/used has had very similar results to your posted findings. thanks markus!

Thorsten

Note that we tested to different copies of the Sigma, one on Canon and one on Nikon. Both showed nearly identical performance.
I think you measured resolution, not sharpness per se. The Sigma looked much sharper to me wide open, but that could be because it has more contrast.

This disputation is the very reason that I pay little or no attention to the so-called technical reviews. IMHO, Sigma is vastly superior to the Nikon (the 50/1.4, that is) for my usage. Other things being equal I do prefer Nikon over Sigma, but certainly not for this lens or the 85/1.4. I do find it interesting that "Than most likely something was wrong with your 50g"....I was under the impression that "bad copies" were the exclusive province of Sigma . LOL

Big sample variation with this lens. I've won the "lottery" with my new copy and am delighted with it on my D7000. I had 2 previous bad copies on a D700 and swore never to try this lens again. I'm happy I did. Just make sure you can exchange or send in for calibration.....it's really worth it. Especially on DX IMO, as a short portrait lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom