Photozone Releases Review of Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM on D3x

Agreed.

I wish he will also post a review in DX mode. The borders on FX are pretty weak, so I´m wondering how the borders are on DX.

Agreed.

I wish he will also post a review in DX mode. The borders on FX are pretty weak, so I´m wondering how the borders are on DX.

He's been posting the DX review a week or so after the FX review. Even better, Markus is now using a D7000 to test. While it will be more generous for borders/corners, it has more pixel density than the D3x. So the test will be interesting.

Regarding borders/corners on FX, it wouldn't bother me for a portrait lens.

Here's the FX test for the older Nikon 85/1.4D:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/538-nikkorafd8514ff

As far as the resolution tests go, the Sigma beats it in every aperture at every measured point in the frame. (Not that sharpness is everything in a portrait lens, however.)

Thanks, Bill.

DX review will follow soon, Willy. It will be one of the first reviews based on the D7000.

The D7000 so far seems to be very demanding, though. Quite a few lenses performed a bit worse than expected at borders and corners.

Review of the AF-S 85/1.4 is also in the pipeline (and I can already tell you: it's a terrific lens!).

-- Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

I can't think of a lens where soft corners is less important than on an 85mm f/1.4 on full frame. That focal length and speed is pretty much guaranteed to be a portrait lens for shooting head and shoulder shots with a narrow range of focus. Bokeh and center sharpness wide open is much more important than corner sharpness on a lens like this. Based on the reviews, the Sigma spanks Nikon's version.

Review of the AF-S 85/1.4 is also in the pipeline (and I can already tell you: it's a terrific lens!).

Can't wait to see it! I'd guess its borders/corners will be significantly better than the Sigma's -- SLRGear.com did a review that showed awesome borders/corners on a D3x, stopped down to f/4 and f/5.6.

I will be curious to see if their strange center sharpness results were just a bad sample (as they've speculated, they're trying to get another sample).

(As bigshot posted above, borders/corners aren't as critical to most typical usages of the 85/1.4. But IMHO having that ability is gravy and makes the lens useful for some scenic shooting, including stitched shots.)

Can't wait to see it! I'd guess its borders/corners will be significantly better than the Sigma's --

Yep.

I will be curious to see if their strange center sharpness results were just a bad sample (as they've speculated, they're trying to get another sample).

I guess so. Mine is superb in the centre. However, unlike the Sigma, it shows some focus shift when stopping down (which is actually typical for most ultra fast lenses).

(As bigshot posted above, borders/corners aren't as critical to most typical usages of the 85/1.4. But IMHO having that ability is gravy and makes the lens useful for some scenic shooting, including stitched shots.)

Fully agree. It's not really required for the typical usage, but it's certainly nice to have and offers new creative options. Sony/Zeiss showed with their ZA 85/1.4 that it can be done and the Nikkor performs on a similarly high level.

Sample images are already online here:

http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/afs8514gfx/16104957_hgu6d

I hope to have the review ready early next week. Can't promise it, though.

-- Markus
-- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

just yesterday picked up a 85/1.4g, and have previously owned a sigma 85. from my own experiences, i can conclusively say that the two lenses are pretty much the same with regards to center sharpness wide open, so copy variation does indeed exist with the 85g.

in fact, the optical qualities of the two lenses are definitely more similar than they are different. from a value point of view, the sigma is king. however, after experiencing some mechanical issues with my copy of the sigma, (af intermittently going out), i decided that the extra for the nikon was worth it for me. not gonna lie, kinda a nikon snob too!:tongue: but i gave the sigma a shot (LOVED their 50), and i came away very impressed from an optical point of view...

Seems like the Sigma 85 1.4 is another good alternative to the more expensive nikkor, even the Siggy 50 1.4 is awesome as well!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom