1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photozone Releases Reviews of Zeiss ZF 50/1.4, 50/2, 85/1.4 and 100/2 on D3x

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Big Daddy, May 9, 2011.

1. Actually, I've been a bit too lazy for too long ;) 

-- Markus
    -- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

2. Rooz

Rooz

Nov 22, 2008
    Sydney, Oz
    i posted this not so long ago about these lens' and copped a bit for it...

markus has done the tests and it would appear my eyes aren't so bad a judge after all.

quick question markus, are these lens' supplied by the manufacturers or are they supplied by members of some camera club ? or a bit of both ?

3. It's a mixture of sources. Some are loaned by readers, some are rent from professional services, some are purchased for the reviews (new or used). Occasionally, we get loaners from retailers or sources close to the manufacturer (some Samyang lenses). However, we do not request and do not get sample units from the manufacturers directly. This is on purpose, since we do not want to receive selected "golden samples" and on the other hand don't want to slip into any sort of dependency (review units in exchange for positive reviews). However, we might change this policy in the future for very rare or expensive lenses (but only for those).

Klaus (site owner and chief editor) accepts more loaners than I do, since I usually try to spend as much time as possible with a review unit in the field. With a loaner, there is some time pressure to get the review and sample images done, which is not always easily possible (especially when the weather is uncooperative). Remember that we all do this in our spare time.

So, I actually purchase most of the F-mount review lenses (this was the case for all ZF lenses and all other reviews published in the last days). If a lens has been loaned to me, this is mentioned on the first page (see Sigma 85/1.4 review for example).

-- Markus

4. Lance B

Lance B

Jan 13, 2011
    Australia
    Looking at Klaus's test results and also his conclusions, all I can say is that I am glad I have purchased the 85 f1.4G and the 105 f2.8G. :biggrin:

This is not to denegrate the beautiful Zeiss lenses, but it seems that the Nikon lenses are as good or better according the Photozone.

5. sako

sako

Feb 28, 2009
    New Zealand
    Well, the Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar gets 4.5 stars on FX - outstanding performance. The Nikon 105 f2.8G hasn't been tested on FX.

The Zeiss 85/1.4 has never been one of Zeiss' strongest performing lenses, although it's still a really fine lens. Personally, I'd prefer the new Nikon 85 f/1.4G, but it's expensive.

6. Lance B

Lance B

Jan 13, 2011
    Australia
    Yes, the Zeiss 100/2 gets a wonderful rating of 4.5 stars, as does the 105 f2.8G but on DX, but there is no reason to suspect that it shouldn't also get a great rating on FX, however, we shall have to wait and see.

7. They can do better, though. I see the Sony version (ZA 85/1.4) on the same high level as the new AF-S 85/1.4.

-- Markus

8. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Rooz

Rooz

Nov 22, 2008
    Sydney, Oz
    Magazine reviews are pretty much just toilet paper with glossy pictures.

10. sako

sako

Feb 28, 2009
    New Zealand
    +1

11. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    The results here are very similar to slrgear and Lloyd Chambers findings. The 100/2 is in a class by itself followed at the next level by the 21, 28, 35, 50/2. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the new 35/1.4 will be in this group.
    Whatever happened to the new 25 they were redesigning?

12. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
    Those stars are a subjective rating.

13. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
    I'd say "Sony lens".

And, it's good that are a lot samples posted along with the tests, like 29 shots for Sigma 150. The more the better.

14. I have both 105 VR and 100/2 ZF.
    The 100/2 wins in all shooting conditions (from macro to landscape), except when AF and VR are necessary.
    This has nothing to do with placebos. It's a matter of smooth tonal transition combined to micro-contrast.
    To see a comparative test (on DX), check out my website (here). You can see both pictures and 100% crops, and read the captions as well. To read the (Italian) text, you can use a translator.

Quantitative numbers don't tell the whole story about lenses' performance under real shooting conditions.
    I quit considering MTF tests (and magazine reviews too) as a tool for making me decide which lens to buy since long time ago ...

Best,

15. sako

sako

Feb 28, 2009
    New Zealand
    Yes, but they're based primarily on the test results, are they not?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.