Photozone Review of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (Canon mount)

Yes they have, but doesn't Photozone also warn about focus issues still? And if focus is a problem can it corrected if AF tune in the D300?

It all depends on whether or not the issue is severe. I bought a Sigma 24-60 with an extremely severe FF issue. It could NOT be corrected within the parameters that the D3/300 AF Fine Tune offers. The lens firstly needed to be repaired at Sigma, and set to initial factory specs. Now it seems OK.

And even then quite frankly, even after set to factory specs, I have had other lenses that were still not giving me the focus accuracy that I wanted, even after trying to adjust with the AF Fine tune.

You really need to check a lens thoroughly after purchasing. Make sure that you buy a lens from a reputable dealer with a liberal return policy.

mike

Sigma will fix any focusing issues with your lens for free if it's still in warranty. This is something that you have to live with as Sigma have to reverse engineer the AF with the camera body.

Nikon should include a firmware update to change the fine tuning from +/-20 to +/- 10000... that should help

G

gorbuchul

Sigma will fix any focusing issues with your lens for free if it's still in warranty. This is something that you have to live with as Sigma have to reverse engineer the AF with the camera body.

Yep, that's cool and you can meet other people on the net and talk about, how your focus issues have improved after the lens being serviced.

The people on Fred Mirandas Forum do so. There are at least six owners having rather serious focussing issue with the Sigma 50/1.4:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/661966/11

(It's a long thread)

Kind regards,
Bernd

Wait a lil longer

Yep, that's cool and you can meet other people on the net and talk about, how your focus issues have improved after the lens being serviced.

The people on Fred Mirandas Forum do so. There are at least six owners having rather serious focussing issue with the Sigma 50/1.4:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/661966/11

(It's a long thread)

Kind regards,
Bernd

Guess I will have to wait and see what Nikon does with the 50 AF-S supposedly coming.

Unfortunately they still test full frame lenses on DX cameras (or Canon 350d in this case which is 1.6x, I believe). On FX this lens may become a completey different animal. (The Photozone test doesn't show what corner sharpness/vignetting/CA FX users will experience.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom