photto oportunities in Detroit

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by StevenVW, Dec 10, 2005.

1. StevenVW

StevenVW

May 4, 2005
    Hi,

I will be spending a few weeks in the Detroit area (Dearborn). Any interesting things I can visit there? I will be there second half of januari and possibly the first half of februari too. Doing some distance isn't a problem as I will have a rental car at my disposal.

thanks!!

2. Michael

Michael

Jun 30, 2005
    Mid-Michigan
    Steven: The Detroit Auto Show starts next weekend - it's huge...

3. Hi Steven,

We were in Dearborn a long time ago, 1970's I think.
    There is the Henry Ford Museum which has one of the largest automobile collections in the world, Greenfield Village, and tours of the Ford Estate (Fairborn) and the Ford Plant at River Rouge. We did all four and all were interesting.
    Here is a link to start you out:

http://www.dearbornchamber.org/visitor/index.asp
    Bob & Nan

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Send a private message to Dave Birdsong...that's his town. If he doesn't know where to shoot, no one does!

5. matrix1272

matrix1272 Guest

I was thinking the same thing, the Detroit Auto Show.

6. ckon

ckon

Feb 3, 2006
    SE Michigan
    There's also the Detroit Zoo and the Matthaei botanical gardens near Ann Arbor.

7. fotoman91

fotoman91 Guest

I'm in the Henry Ford Museum camp. I think Greenfield Village doesn't operate during the winter months, though, but worth double checking to see if this has changed because that's another place worth visiting and is right next to Henry Ford Museum.

Just noticed the date of the original post: hope this isn't too late.

8. mikench

mikench

Feb 1, 2006
    Michigan
    Bump for Matthaei Botanical Gardens. There's a nice greenhouse there and also a small lake up front. In early spring, it's a nesting ground for Canada geese.