1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Picas??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LindaZ, Aug 27, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I need to submit a high school Senior photo to the yearbook: here's the info I have:

"She said it needs to be a minimum of 300 dpi’s and the size should be 7.83 picas X 9.83 picas."

Can someone translate picas to inches or pixels to me pretty please?

2. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    This is from Wikipedia

A pica (IPA: /ˈpaɪkə/) is a typographic unit of measure corresponding to 1/72nd of its respective foot, and therefore to 1/6th of an inch. The pica contains 12 point units of measure.

I hope it helps!

3. From Google,
    So she needs 1.31" x 1.64" ..... that seems tiny!

4. Linda, if you have Photoshop you can change to Picas in the Image Size menu and adjust accordingly!

5. Also from Google:

pika.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I wouldn't know, never done a yearbook photo before! But THANK you for spelling the inches out for me, so I could crop it right.

Yeah, but the ratio throw me off so I didn't get the right dimensions, but with the inch translation I got it.

uhh... whatever you say. lol

:biggrin: cute :smile:

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    The animal is a pika though, not a pica.

8. :rolleyes:  I know, just some internet humor. (I was a spelling bee champ in my youth, Steve!)

Oh wait: The name pika (archaically spelled pica) is used for any member of the Ochotonidae, a family within the order of lagomorphs, which also includes the Leporidae (rabbits and hares). ~Wikipedia

Well, I guess it's better to be lucky than good!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.