Picas??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LindaZ, Aug 27, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I need to submit a high school Senior photo to the yearbook: here's the info I have:

"She said it needs to be a minimum of 300 dpi’s and the size should be 7.83 picas X 9.83 picas."

Can someone translate picas to inches or pixels to me pretty please?

2. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    This is from Wikipedia

A pica (IPA: /ˈpaɪkə/) is a typographic unit of measure corresponding to 1/72nd of its respective foot, and therefore to 1/6th of an inch. The pica contains 12 point units of measure.

I hope it helps!

3. From Google,
    So she needs 1.31" x 1.64" ..... that seems tiny!

4. Linda, if you have Photoshop you can change to Picas in the Image Size menu and adjust accordingly!

5. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I wouldn't know, never done a yearbook photo before! But THANK you for spelling the inches out for me, so I could crop it right.

Yeah, but the ratio throw me off so I didn't get the right dimensions, but with the inch translation I got it.

uhh... whatever you say. lol

:biggrin: cute :smile:

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    The animal is a pika though, not a pica.

7. :rolleyes: I know, just some internet humor. (I was a spelling bee champ in my youth, Steve!)

Oh wait: The name pika (archaically spelled pica) is used for any member of the Ochotonidae, a family within the order of lagomorphs, which also includes the Leporidae (rabbits and hares). ~Wikipedia

Well, I guess it's better to be lucky than good!