Picasa 2.7 NEF Help!!

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Skunkabilly, Jul 12, 2007.

1. I'm jumping on the Picasa wagon late, please help!

When I make RAW changes in Capture, the thumbnail in Picasa shows my changes, but when I doubleclick the image in Picasa to make whatever further adjustments , it undoes the work I did in Capture!

Anyone know of a workaround? Otherwise seems to be a great program.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Picasa is not a very good processor in my opinion.
    I would stick with catpure and PS

3. Thanks for your input, Gale. I liked it because it was so darn faaaaast....

4. I tried Picasa and although it was fast, I didn't care for it all that much. The extra time spent in Capture or CS2 is well worth the time IMO.

5. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I know this is an older thread, but I am interested in this because I use Picasa2 exclusively for post-processing all of my D200 photos. The number one reason is that I have zero clue when it comes to PhotoShop 7 or CS2 (my son donated both of his to me when he got CS3).

Am I really missing out on something by using only Picasa? I don't shoot in RAW (probably something else I'm missing out on, by what I read here). I have been completely self-taught, and am pretty happy with my stuff to date. But I really want to know if I'm missing something important here.

The thing is, I don't want to spend three hours shooting a sporting event and then six hours processing the photos. To me that's just not a good use of time. When I use Picasa I'm done in less than an hour.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated. And how did you all learn how to use PhotoShop? I find it so immensely counter-intuitive and difficult that I avoid it like the plague.

So I'm asking for some useful advice from those who have experience, patience, and who are genuinely interested in assisting an inexperienced post-processor! :smile:

6. McQ

Bump....

Anyone? Class? Bueller? Anyone?

7. I really have had little experience with Picasa. I tried it once on someone else's computer a couple of years ago when I was away from my own computer and had a few images to process. I wasn't impressed. Since at home I am a Mac user I just totally dismissed the idea of Picasa after that. I now use a combination of Photo Mechanic and Aperture to post-process my images and I can move along quite swiftly. It might behoove you to purchase PS Elements and work with that for a while rather than the full-blown CS2 if you're finding that software too difficult, complex and time-consuming to learn. Elements is a "lite" version of Photoshop and as such serves as a good introduction to the tools and techniques used in PS.

I really like Photo Mechanic, as it enables me to quickly review all my images and get rid of the non-keepers before moving on to the next step in my post-processing. It will handle some light editing tasks but I have not used it for that. It is fairly expensive but I think worthwhile.

8. McQ

Thanks, Connie. I appreciate the suggestions and will look into both. I hope I didn't sound like I was "dissing" PhotoShop. I know it is an amazing tool. But I have just found it so frustratingly hard to learn, and have no one around to help learn it. Three books on it and still it seems difficult. I don't know why, but I'm not picking it up very well. I think I'm PS-impaired or something! :smile:

I have so little spare time to spend playing with photos when I'm done shooting that it just hasn't been something that I've prioritized to learn either.

I will continue to try and learn a little bit at a time.

9. That's why I like Aperture. I can get my editing tasks done there quickly and efficiently, as for the most part I am not doing anything fancy with my images and just need to do basic adjustments, resizing, perhaps a bit of cropping.... Photoshop is outstanding and it is necessary if one is delving into working with layers and filters and plug-ins, but, yes, it IS a very complex program and one which requires a lot of time and attention to learn. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how much I can do with Aperture. That program is available only for the Mac platform but I have heard good things about Lightroom, which is another program you might want to look into, especially as it is available for both Windows and Mac.

10. McQ

Thanks, Connie. Someone else also just recently told me that they like Lightroom. Since I'm a PC user (don't hate me too much!), I can't use Aperture.

I realize that Picasa is a very basic piece of free software and that you "get what you pay for". I do need to get on the ball and move up in the world of PP!

11. I'd try out Lightroom (there's a 30-day trial version available online) and/or I'd try out Photoshop Elements, which runs about $90-$100.00 in stores. Good luck!

12. McQ

Thanks!

Now if I could just coerce my son into teaching me some more PhotoShop stuff during his Thanksgiving break from college too! After all, I taught him to ride a bike, drive a car, and swim. You'd think a little payback would be in order!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    If you are shoot Raw with a Nikon camera, nikon software is the only one that will read the WB correctly.
    Then you can take the tiff to any prog you wish to play with

14. McQ

I see NX in my future!

15. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    yup, it does cool stuff :)

about Picasa...I stopped using it because it kills sharpness. Take a perfectly sharp picture, apply straightening and voila, all sharpness is lost :mad: If it can't handle something as simple as that, I wouln't trust it for anything else either.

anyway, good luck with the software. you'll get the hang of it!