Picasa Woes

Google has kept "upgrading" Picasa to a point which it is unusable for my purposes. I can't get it to post 800 pixel pics images in the galleries anymore. It was easy to select the imbedded resolution before but now it just imbeds the image at the current screen resolution.

Guess I'm ready to move on.

What would be a good alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I do very little other than post in the CS here and on a few threads on the Canon Digital Photography forum (sorry:redface:).

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Cheapest plan on Smugmug? $40 / YEAR (unlimited pics)

Suggest you check all 'the big ones' for comparison. If you only use it for forum linking, all the extras are rather unimportant, only price/year.

It looks like by cancelling my Google + account I have my old paid for
Picasa page with all the posting options back.

Still looking for some alternative though.

It looks like by cancelling my Google + account I have my old paid for
Picasa page with all the posting options back.

Still looking for some alternative though.

I don't know what Google is thinking with the integration of Google+ with Picasa. I had an issue when I created a Google+ account, where I lost the ability to view my pictures through my stock Google gallery app on my Android phone. Also my Picasa Web Album page changed to a simplified image viewer, and as you stated no ability to select the size of the image that you want to embed. I promptly disabled my Google+ account after that fiasco.

It's actually really easy to get any size you want with Picasa but it's hard to find out how. Right click on any image and you get a URL that looks like this:

/lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/w461-h306-p-o/Cat.jpg

See that part that says "w461-h306"? That's your image size. It's hard to figure out the exact dimensions to use the "wxxx-hxxx" code. THe easiest way it to replace it with "sxxx". So if you want a 800 pixel wide image you will use:

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s800/Cat.jpg

Cat.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s640/Cat.jpg

Cat.jpg

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s100/Cat.jpg

Cat.jpg

To get the maximum size image use "s0" 0=zero not the letter Oh.

I'm confused as to the storage size on ZF @ $30/yr for the Basic plan.
Am I reading it right at 4GB + 2GB/yr?

I think SM has unlimited storage even with the basic plan.

It's actually really easy to get any size you want with Picasa but it's hard to find out how. Right click on any image and you get a URL that looks like this:

/lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/w461-h306-p-o/Cat.jpg

See that part that says "w461-h306"? That's your image size. It's hard to figure out the exact dimensions to use the "wxxx-hxxx" code. THe easiest way it to replace it with "sxxx". So if you want a 800 pixel wide image you will use:

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s800/Cat.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s800/Cat.jpg

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s640/Cat.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s640/Cat.jpg

lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s100/Cat.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z4sy1_t9ppk/UWQyH6uCpSI/AAAAAAAABd8/QenzSOEOOKU/s100/Cat.jpg

To get the maximum size image use "s0" 0=zero not the letter Oh.

Oh cool, will try that too. It did have a drop down box before but not since they linked my account with Google - :biggrin:

p1587490070-4.png

Trying Zenfolio to see if I can post from it....looks like a good site.

p1587498368-4.jpg

I would recommend also looking at Zoner Photo Studio... comes with free online storage with the ability to edit the photos from your gallery by selecting them within the software and editing... its a pretty good program for the low price... good luck!

Latest threads

Top Bottom