Test Pick it! Z7 vs. X-H1

Real Name
Steve
Off of school today, too much time on my hands. Set up a tripod in my driveway. One photo is Fuji X-H1 with 55-200 @200mm (300mm 35mm equip.). Other is Z7 with 200-500@300mm. Both set to ISO400, both Aperture Priority at f/16. Shutter speeds happened to be about 1 stop difference which as I understand is typical. Shot as quickly as possible so light didn't change. Tony-b and I are huge Fuji fans yet both shoot Z7s with mostly the same lenses. I'm not sure I see much difference here, but cropping would likely tell the tale. These are both jpgs dragged into a PS 8.5x11 file at 300dpi as SmartObjects to retain same size, then rasterized and very slightly cropped and moved to make them overlay as exactly as possible. No other adjustments made.
Is this scientific? Hell no, but fun nonetheless. I know which is which... tell me, can you pick out the Z7? To me, there is one obvious "tell."

Mustang1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mustang2.jpg

Real Name
Steve
Two more...

Real Name
Steve
Last two... same .psd file, but headlight enlarged to fit width of file. More obvious now?

I'm going to say all of the top photos are from the Nikon Z7, mainly due to Nikon's WB preference towards warmth and also due to slightly shallower DOF on the first two images, while the last is a wash. Also I believe Fuji tends to lean more neutral when it comes to WB.

A real test would be to take both photos in low light to see which holds up better at higher ISOs!

Either way, apart from the treatment of whites, really quite close given sensor size and price difference. I do think the X-H1 is an interesting camera and its rumoured replacement might be even more so. I also like the smaller size of Fuji lenses.

Real Name
Ian
Contrast in the top photos is better in both scenarios, but there’s not much in it between the two of them. You could’ve shot with a m43 sensor and come to he same conclusion (for all intents and purposes, they’re equivalent to one another).

Where a FF sensor brings to edge ahead of smaller sensors is when light levels begin to drop and ISO values begin to rise. But in mid-day sunlight, damn near any sensor is going to do well.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom