Pics and avatars not showing?

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Some members have been reporting slow site performance. This morning, I changed our DNS provider and CDN in an attempt to speed things up. As a fringe benefit, this also means fewer browser cookies needed for normal site function.

Apparently those changes have caused some members to not be able to see any pics or avatars anywhere on the site. I am trying to pin down the problem and fix it.

Hopefully this will all be worth it, and everyone will enjoy improved site performance!

2. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I think this is a DNS issue that will sort itself by tomorrow.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Had problems early in the day, but it seems to be working fine now

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Amin!

5. Back to normal for me now - thanks Amin!

Sean

6. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    If one is using Windows 10 "E", there are no pictures, avatars, sign in/ sign out boxes, message box to type replies or original threads. Other than that seems to be working fine.

7. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Since I have gone back to "E" everything now is working, except no sign in/ sign out. Maybe having to sign back on with other browser reset everything.

8. Working fine now on Chrome.

Thanks for the info.

9. As of 5pm west coast no pics for me yet, using firefox, working on Chrome, but not Firefox.

10. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Anyone noticing a speed improvement? Definitely seems snappier to me.

11. Definitely faster!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Safari on a MBP, never saw any problems, but it does seem snappier--either that or I'm getting older :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I am on slow cellular wifi out in the boonies, so I can’t tell much. But at least we now have a decent data plan coupled with our phone ipad data amounts, we are good to go in Rural Missouri.

Thanks Amin.

14. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    No problems until now...

Klaus

15. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    A few people are still unable to view pics. This appears to be related to DNS cache, so it should work itself out in time. You can try flushing DNS on your device and browser to see if that fixes things quicker:

How to clear the DNS Cache on a computer and web browsers?

If that doesn't work, it may be a matter of waiting out the cache on your DNS provider. Sorry for the inconvenience!

16. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Mine was back yesterday afternoon on a Win 7 machine using Firefox. It took until this morning for it to return to my Win 10 machine, same browser. MS forced an update to Win 10 2 days ago that messed things up a lot. Some of the issues have been resolved, but who knows what is going on with areas we can't see.

17. No joy yesterday or last night on either a Mac or iPad, but finally today everything seems to be back to normal with avatars and photos! That was frustrating and I also could not post or reply to posts, even though I was logged in. I didn't think to do the cache, although I had cleared cookies, hoping that would resolve the situation.

18. As I said above, I experienced no problems, but your response might explain why it seemed rather slow (in terms of the number of posts) here yesterday.

19. I was especially annoyed because I wanted to see Randy's Frogs! :)

20. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    I also had this issue. I use a RATtrap from IoT Defense and thought the RATtrap was blocking the site since when I was looking at the network traffic in Chrome developer mode I noticed a lot of failed communications. I also use RATtrap as my DNS as doing so provides end to end encryption so my ISP can’t sell my browsing history to marketing companies or provide it to anybody else. RATtrap support advised, “It is actually related to the content-delivery network (CDN) itself getting updated but our systems still had the old cached per the TTL (time-to-live). cdn.nikoncafe.com was a CNAME to nikoncafe-236e.kxcdn.com and p-usny00.kxcdn.com, but cdn.nikoncafe.com was updated to nikoncafe.b-cdn.net.” Once RATtrap forced the update, I was back on the Cafe.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.