PictBridge (3rd time around topic)

Does anyone routinely use PictBridge to print directly from camera to printer? ok... has anyone ever been successful doing so?

D7200 camera. The USB cable is an "8-pin" microB USB plug. The particular NIKON cable I'm trying to use has 4 contacts, a gap, and then a 5th contact. Fits the microB socket in the camera.
On the computer, I can see the files on the camera and download them to the computer with that cable. In that instance, the USB cable works.
When I plug the cable from camera to printer, I get the PictBridge opening graphics, then it says "no pictures".
I know for a fact that there is a jpg picture on the camera.

1) I have been trying for several hours (OK- I'm NOT LAZY, got that?) and am having difficulty getting a pin-out description for the Nikon EC-UC17 cable. The PictBridge people are annoyingly protective of the simple pinout description. The Nikon people are annoyingly silent on how many of the wires are needed. For camera-to-computer, I only need the 5. Does Pictbridge need all 8? It's a NIKON USB cable I'm using with the 5 wires. HOW MANY WIRES ARE NEEDED FOR PICTBRIDGE to work? ( want to know that in order to get the right cable, and Nikonusa does not seem to carry any EC-UC17 cables, thus I need to try to figure out who carries the correct bloody USB cable. Not all "microB USB cables" are created equal.

2) Does the file have to be in the camera's flash drive root directory? There is a DCIM folder, and below that there is a /104D7200/ folder. The printer could not read the .jpg file in either the DCIM or the /104D7200/ folder. PictBridge seems to be able to find the pictures in any folder per the propaganda, but not per experience.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I know I tried this some years ago and it worked. I thought you had to first select the photos for printing on the camera menus. Did you do that? Then when you connect to the printer it can print the chosen photos. But I could be wrong. Worth trying that.

I get the impression the trend is for PictBridge to be replaced by wireless printing, which can be far more annoying to make work. I stick to printing from computer.

Yeah. Unfortunately I'm expecting 500 to 700 kids' pictures on the 31st. Trying to cut down on how many steps are needed.

I am buying (will be delivered tomorrow) a replacement cord for the Nikon, and even though I can't see 8 pieces of gold-coated copper in the microB plug, there are 8 slots there. The cord I borrowed from my wife's Nikon a) charges her P&S camera, and b) communicates OK with a computer for downloading. There are 5 wires, and in the missing wire areas, there are no slots -- thus I hope that all this clears up with the extra 3 communications wires.

I had not pre-selected the file. I'll have to try that. Instructions said hook up camera then turn on. Screen then said 'ain't nothin' here'

Will try your way next.

If it doesn't work then I'll have to get the full tethering software and hook the printer to laptop via either ethernet hardline or USB. Of course, this printer is supposed to be wireless enabled. Makes it easier for hacking 'bots for denial of services attacks.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom