Picture Control and D2X colors.

Since I do not want to mess up my D300 I decided that this could be the best place to ask. Here we go.
Lately I have noticed that for some shots, the selection in my editing software (ViewNX2) of the colors from the D2X picture control are exactly what I like and prefer, especially Mode I and Mode III.
Obviously, it takes lots of time to process each file during editing.
I know the colors can be downloaded but I have no experience doing so and I do not want to mess up the camera.
Could someone be so kind as to educate me on how to do it?
I will certainly appreciate it.
Thanks.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Yes, if you have a D300 (not a D300s), you can absolutely load the D2X mode controls into your camera, as I've done both for my D300 and D700. To do this:

1. In ViewNX2, access Picture Control Utility
  2. Insert an empty/formatted card into your card reader
  3. From Picture Control Utility, select the D2X mode controls you want, and press the Export button
  4. Select the numeric slot where you would like this stored in your card
  5. Once done, remove the card, and insert it into your camera
  6. Follow your manual's instructions for loading Picture Controls

Some goofball started a related thread on this topic a few days back. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen thank you for your time and efforts.
I have a Custom Neutral Picture Control in my D300 which I use often because I get with it the neutral colors I like so much. I have also been experimenting using the neutral colors of the D2X in the software (View NX2) and I have found them also very pleasing to my eyes.
Having those colors in camera makes a big difference since I do not have to go to Picture Control saving time during editing.
I do appreciate your efforts.

William.

My processing consists of using Portrait, Neutral, & D2X Mode1 depending on the image. But I find myself using D2X Mode1 the most.

[PM posted here, since others might benefit from the info.]

camerapapi said:
I do not seem to be very lucky. I could not download to a CF card the D2X Picture Control. In Utility I see IMPORT outlined but no way to get EXPORT outlined.
My card reader is built-in into the computer.
Never a problem to read my files or to download info to the card...till today.
William.
Can you see the folder structure in your card? You should be able to write to it. Assuming that:
  • Download the D2X picture controls from Nikon's site.
  • Then expand the file (an .exe, I believe): a NIKON folder will be placed in the location on your computer where you downloaded that .exe.
  • Drag and drop that NIKON folder into your empty/formatted card (format in your camera before you start this)
  • Insert the card into your camera, and install the controls (one by one) through the Manage Picture Control menu option.

Now you said D300 (not D300s). If you have a D300, as I do, this should work great. Note that Nikon throws in a PT (Portrait) and LS (Landscape) pair of Picture controls along with the D2X modes. Go ahead and install those if you'd like. Good luck!

Me, too, especially for any shot that includes people. I am really bummed I can't use it either in-camera or in ViewNX2 for my D7000. That's pretty much going to relegate my D7000 to non-portrait duties, I'm afraid.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom