1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Picture control settings

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Corwyn, Apr 20, 2019.

1. HI all,

So I've been trying to play with and use more of the features of my D750 more frequent basis.
    What are the pros and cons of using picture control setting in D750?

2. If you shoot RAW it doesn't really matter, except on the camera LCD jpeg preview.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Picture controls are basically in-camera processing. So like Nick said if you shoot RAW and use processing software other than Nikon then only the image preview in the LCD will show the effects. If you shoot RAW+jpeg then the jpeg will be processed according to the picture control settings. If you shoot jpeg only then you're pretty much stuck with the results.

If you do shoot RAW one thing to be aware of is that the image that you see in the camera LCD during preview is a jpeg which has been processed according to the picture control settings. So if you use the histogram and/or "blinkies" they indicate the exposure/dynamic range of the jpeg which can be significantly different than that of the RAW image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dan's answer is way more complete than my terse note (I'm on my first cup of coffee, and Dan, in Alaska, ought to be asleep)
    Many of us use the neutral or standard picture control since it least affects the preview image and makes for a more accurate histogram and blinkie display on the camera LCD.

5. Guilty, and laugh all the way to the bank. :D 

1-5H2_6548.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Another excellent image Will. You are certainly the master of jpg. However, the vast majority of photographers would benefit from shooting raw f they want to get the best results - as long as they want to spend time at the computer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's an awesome image.

Not making judgments. Just providing information. I also shoot jpeg when the situation calls for it. But I typically need a lot of room for error which RAW provides.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.