Picture fringing problem at Cherry Blossom Festival

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HSNewman, Apr 4, 2007.

1. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Need your help with the pictures below taken by the Admiral with her Konica Minolta Z3. Do you have any idea what is causing the fringing? It appears in many of her pictures but not all. We leave for a trip on soon and want to be sure the camera is ok.

[​IMG])_________________(Question previuosly asked in cherry blossom thread with no results)

2. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I see vertical lines running down through the shot myself which to me would be indicitive of a camera problem. It could be intermittant in nature making it very frustrating indeed. I personally would not trust the camera - Jeff

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks like a really bad banding prob of some sort

I would sent it for service

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Howard, this is a banding problem. Here is a quote from Nikontech website.
    "Patterns of vertical lines, sometimes referred to as banding, are a digital imaging artifact.
    Lines can be vertical or horizontal, depending on the orientation of the camera at the time that an affected image was captured. Banding can become visible only in specific shooting conditions that include particular combinations of high contrast scene content, lighting, camera settings, substantial enlargement and the shooting environment.

Banding can be further described as long banding or short banding. Long banding will generally appear throughout an image. Short banding will not appear throughout an image. Commonly, if certain variables coincide, short banding can appear most prominently at intersections of extreme contrast and when an image is enlarged substantially. Appearance of short banding may typically be a pattern of physically short lines and will usually not affect the vast majority of images.

It is important to note that banding will generally be greatly exaggerated when an image is enlarged and viewed on a computer monitor. A useful printed image, even when enlarged to a size that relates to a substantially enlarged monitor image, will not exhibit the same banding (or for that matter, many other artifacts) that may be visible on a monitor. Therefore, artifacts that may be visible on a monitor often have very little practical correlation to the realistic use of an image file (e.g., an image viewed on a monitor in its entirety and enlarged prints)."

Nikons answer to the problem is to replace the 'memory compression'.

Jarrell

5. Thank you Jarrell, that is good information to know.:smile:

6. To me this looks different from the banding which plagued a few D200s when they were new, and is what is described by Nikon in Jarrell's post. That banding only appeared near areas of very high contrast, like bright lights in a dark room. The image above is definitely not a high-contrast scene.

I think there is something seriously wrong with the camera as I can't imagine a lens problem that would produce an image like that.