Picture Project vs. Nikon View

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bravocharlie, Mar 8, 2005.

1. First, let me start by saying I do not use Nikon View as part of my work flow. However, the file transfer utility that is included with Nikon View that runs automatically when you insert a CF card is great.

When I uninstalled Nikon View today and installed Nikon's Picture Project which is replacing Nikon View (according to Nikon), the transfer utility changed. While the settings were all the same, there was one major difference: Picture Project auto runs upon completion of the file transfers. In Nikon View, you have the option of "doing nothing" upon completion of the file transfer. In my case, I simply open Capture and batch process, etc. With Picture Project installed, it was a pain in the arse to have the damn thing open everytime just so I could close it again after the files were transferred from the CF card.

So, FWIW, update to Nikon View 6.2.5 which will be compatible with the D2x files and don't bother with Picture Project.

NOTE: You can NOT have both Picture Project and Nikon View installed. One must be uninstalled before the other is installed.

If you want a good viewing program, Reznick turned me on to ThumbsPlus 7 which is an excellent program for previewing your jpeg files. (shoot NEF + jpeg in camera) I highly recommend it. It is fast, highly customizable and allows you to delete files with one keystroke should you desire.

ThumbsPlus 7 can be found at: http://www.cerious.com/featuresv7.shtml

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    BC,

Basically the same thing that I found. I also use ThumbsPlus when culling through files. Make deciding which shot to process so much easier with the 'View Sync'ed' feature (allows viewing multiple files at the same time at various zoom levels for detailed comparisons).

Thanks for the update.

Frank