1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pictures from hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snapdecision, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Yep I saw a couple of these images in the news...really bad stuff my friends. I just thought for sure my roof was going to spin off and then my house was going to come crashing down. Thankfully this wasn't the case. Very sad for a lot of people in the city of Galveston. I just don't know how you rebuild after all this.

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    How's your electricity? I spoke to a coworker in our Houston office - she said that they're probably without electricity for a couple of weeks :eek: 

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  4. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I am still without power. Earliest estimation they are giving is sometime next week. I'm thankful because the first estimates were that it was going to be October. They restored phone service yesterday. I am up and running via generator as I type this. We got hit really hard and I have not have had the heart to carry a camera with me. I guess seeing it on the news and on the internet is one thing, having to live in it loses all of the novelty of capturing the moment.

This is my first visit back to the Cafe since Ike hit. I have some catching up to do. It's interesting that something like this really puts your life in perspective.

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    That's where we keep our boat, in Conroe, Texas

6. Wow, i cant beleive the pictures ive seen of this. Im so glad we dont have any thing close to this here. Hope everything gets repaired quick Joe. Good luck.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    CenterPoint is getting people back up quicker than their initial estimates. The outages are all across town, no areas are exempt from the outages from River Oaks to the poorest parts of town. Downtown and the medical Center have power, but parts of downtown are still closed to through traffic as of Thursday afternoon because of repair crews working on the broken windows.

8. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    Have you checked on your boat? There are a lot of marina's that got hit pretty hard. If you need me to check for you let me know. I'm 20 min from the lake.

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    This place is a more of a storage...and if something was wrong the owners of the storage would called us. If they need to get into our boat storage room, they call before to get permission.

10. Just terrible! I'm surprised by how much damage was done inland. Friends who live in Huntsville have not been able to move back home yet.

11. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Believe it or not....the Ohio valley received quite a blow from the remenants if Ike...and we are a LONNGGG way inland! Last Sunday night over 3/4 of a million folks without power in Cincinnati alone, here nearly a week later they only have another 90,000 people to get power to. My internet just came back, now I can get over my withdrawl.

My hearts and prayers go out to those that live at or near where the storm came ashore, I can't even imagine what winds like that could be.

12. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Those are amazing images. It really puts things into perspective.

13. We were fortunate, Took no damage at my house, one tree down but it cleared the house and the fence. My neighbors didn't fare so well but nobody hurt.

Can't say the same for my place of employment though.
    DSC_5071.JPG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.