Pictures of Allison

Discussion in 'People' started by Mason, May 19, 2007.

1. Last weekend Allison wanted me to take some pictures of us. I waited until the sun started to set to try getting some warm natural light. I like candids, but I have been struggling with posed pictures. Also, as beautiful as Allison is…I have a hard time getting good pictures of her. She has two sisters-in-law that I have the same problem with. I have some friends, male and female that for some reason are easier for me to photograph. Let me know what you think of these as we are thinking about trying some pictures with her brothers and sisters-in-law.

These were with the D2H and 70-200VR and all I am using for PP is Capture NX (was going to purchase Photoshop but I had a lens get in the way). PP here is minimal.

This is my favorite, but looking at it now maybe she should be shoeless and be doing something else with her legs? I am hair oblivious. I should have seen that there were some stray ones, and will try to watch for this next time.
    [​IMG]

For this one I asked her to smile with her mouth closed, I don’t know why!
    [​IMG]

Better light on her face than the ablove picture. Similar to the first shot, but with her hair down and a few other differences:
    [​IMG]

Maybe every six months or so I like to get in a picture
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple with the D200 and the 18-70
    [​IMG]

I tool a bunch of her playing the piano and thought I would luck out with one, but wasn’t really happy with anyone them. This was the best I could do but I thought they would be more interesting. I tried B&W. Suggestions?
    [​IMG]

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Mason, you were doing so well until no. 4. Just joking! I like them. I think no. 3 is my favorite. I have tried to get shots of Hannah playing the piano. But so far have not got what I was looking for.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Allison is beautiful...I think you captured her nicely. I agree w/Rex that #3 is my favorite. Tell Allison we say "hello".

4. Thanks Rex. I know, I really bring down #4!

Thanks Leigh. I will tell her. When she starts back to school in a couple of weeks I will be "on my own" for a while she says, so maybe Patrick and I can go fishing.

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Don't forget we have a new baby coming any day now! If you wanna go fishing...you better call him soon!:biggrin:

6. Allison is so beautiful!
    All of these are wonderful. I particularly like the 4th and 5th images. WTG Mason!

7. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Mason,

A real beauty you have here. I'd suggest having her cross her feet behind her - with or without the shoes on. I suggest in #3 you go into curves and pull the highlight slider left to lighten up her face a tad. Nice work.

Tnx!

Mike

8. I think you mean, "if HE wants to go fishing!:biggrin: I will check with him.

Thanks Dave. I'm glad you like the last ones...I had actually forgotten about taking them until I looked to post the ones from the yard. I was in Chicago this past week and took a bunch of pictures, so I am behind as usual.

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I know what you mean about the feet, but I don't notice stuff like that until after the fact...and these are the things I need to improve on. I also see what you mean about the face in #3. Thanks again for looking!

9. Nice shots Mason! 1,3, and 4 are all very good. I'd love #6 if her fingers were in focus. You two should work on getting that shot. The colors are just wonderful and with that bokeh, THAT'S the shot.

A successful shoot with a human is 90% about comfort and the best way to make your subject comfortable is to have a pose (poses) you want and control the shot. It's tough, but you want the subject to be relaxed but not so much that they disassociate themselves from the shot.

If it was easy, everyone would be an expert. Practice.

10. Thanks for the help, Woody. I took a buch of her fingers and that was the best I could come up with this time, but I will try again. I think that was the 50 1.8 (what a cool little lens).

Your old 70-200 continues to be my favorite lens:biggrin: