Pictures taken with 35-70mm 2.8 and D70s

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by docshank, Apr 6, 2007.

1. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    I have alot to learn about taking good photographs. I am learning quite a bit by reading the posts on this website. I bought the 35-70mm lens after reading about it on this forum. I really like this lens for taking pictures of my grandkids. Thanks to everyone for all the good information I've read on the threads in this forum.

docshank

_DSC3193.

View attachment 88851

View attachment 88852

2. These are all good but could be a lot "snappier" with a few basic tweaks. Check this tutorial
    [tutiki]Basic_Photo_Adjustments[/tutiki]

Open the first one and go to Levels and change the number under the right slider to 193 and see what you think.

3. They look fine, but consider maybe exposing a little brighter. As far as other aspects of the photo, I won't critique. I do think though that exposing a bit lighter will benefit the photos.

4. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    Woody, thanks for the advice. But you've lost me.

Hey Woody,

Thanks for the advice. But you need to remember I'm a rookie at this thing you call taking pictures.Ha! In your advice, are you telling me to open one of my pictures and modifying it or one of the pictures that's in your tutorial? Also in the levels and curves, are you referring to Photoshop or Nikon Capture? I don't have Photoshop, I have Nikon Capture NX. I also am working kind of handicapped right now by way of my monitor is on its way out. It is getting dimmer and dimmer (19" Sceptre Dragon Eye CRT). I'm planning on getting an 20" Apple Cinema Display in the near future. Right now I have to have photos processed and be able to look at the actual photograph to tell what the picture really looks like. Thanks again for your time.

docshank

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Photos are lovely. Please convert to sRGB before posting, shots as you posted them now are in Adobe RGB colour space. Photos seem to be underexposed half a stop, which is a minor and can be easily corrected afterwards, in postprocessing. However I would prefer to set exposure while shooting. Here I tried to address 3 things only:
    - minor colour cast correction
    - exposure correction
    - converted to sRGB.

[​IMG]

6. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thanks for advice.

Thanks Iliah, for the advice and info. I really appreciate it.

docshank

7. Doc,

I'd suggest you get either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for editing your shots. Elements is a great value because it does almost everything that Photoshop does for a tiny fraction of the price. You'll also need a good monitor and the Apple display is a good choice.

You've got a beautiful family and photography can be an immensely rewarding experience so if you want a new hobby/obsession you're in a good position here.

Here's my take on your photo with a WB adjustment, a Levels adjustment, and some Smart Sharpening. All done in Photoshop but could probably be done in Elements. This is a lovely photo so no more of this "rookie" stuff. You may be new but you have a sensitive eye and good instincts... all it takes to be a great photographer.
    original.

The 35-70 is a legendary Nikkor with a well deserved reputation. I owned one for many years and found it to a solid, reliable performer that falls short of the 28-70 by only the smallest of margins. A good lens is fundamental to good images and you cannot do better than to get started with the 35-70.
    original.

8. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thanks, Woody

Woody, thank you for the advice and info. By the way, that is a really good looking photo that you included in your last post.

docshank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.