Pileated Woodpecker at the nest with babies

After Bill and Jim showed me where to find this nest I was fortunate enough to find the parents feeding the chicks after a short stay at the nest. Jim and Bill are hard acts to follow with the images they've posted but here's a few I took.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 1464736

View attachment 1464738

View attachment 1464739

View attachment 1464740

Louie

Can you believe how lucky we are to find this? We all owe Morrie a beer, or dinner, or at least a big Thank You!

These look grand. I am hoping they will still be there early tomorrow morning, and that we actually get some sun.

Can you believe how lucky we are to find this? We all owe Morrie a beer, or dinner, or at least a big Thank You!

These look grand. I am hoping they will still be there early tomorrow morning, and that we actually get some sun.
Thanks Bill, and I sure agree with you on how lucky we all have been to have found this nest and then have such activity at it. Hope you got up there this morning, what a great morning weather wise.

Thanks Bill, and I sure agree with you on how lucky we all have been to have found this nest and then have such activity at it. Hope you got up there this morning, what a great morning weather wise.

Bust this morning Louie, the only "shot" I got was at 6:30AM when Dad flew in, looked into the empty nest with no one to greet him and left. I agree, tremendously lucky to have the time we did last week. Nancy is quite glad she came down to see them one day as well.

One thing that I don't think any of us mentioned, if you look closely at the two babies, it is one male and one female. The adult in #2 is the Female, #5 is the male. In speaking with our friend who found these today, he says he will start looking for nest building next March. Louie and Jim, we all have to remind Morrie, maybe between the 4 of us 1 of us will remember :D

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Louie, they're great shots. I have still never seen a Pileated, so I'm always envious when people can see them and get such nice photos. Good job!

Another fine set Louie. To think that until last year when I got to shoot the Piliated Woodpeckers in Louie's back yard I had never been able to photograph one of these birds. Then this year to get to shoot the adults feeding the babies. Wow what a treat. Yes indeed we owe Morrie big time for this. We were fortunate to be home the week he saw them as it seems the little ones have now fledged already.

WOW Louie !!!!! A sequence of shots like this is on my "bucket list" for sure. Just hope I'll be as lucky as you !!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom